Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
MAGMA...need help
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: MAGMA...need help

Very nice post, Hobo. Congratulations.

Aug 14, 2014, 02:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Unbelievable.
I have just realized that when we were discussing about the K.A. album I was thinking of MERCI! Something (worrying) must have happened in my brain and I totally confused the two albums!
Maybe it was the fact that they are the last two in the box set and therefore I mixed them up.
So I would like to correct myself and state that K.A. is a great album indeed.
Whether to start from it, being one of the most recent efforts in terms of recordings (because in reality it was composed in the early 70's), I am not completely sure. But it is up there with the best stuff.
Meanchico, please ascribe what I said before to the album MERCI instead.
My apologies also to GaryB.

Aug 14, 2014, 11:45

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

velvetwater wrote:
I have just realized that when we were discussing about the K.A. album I was thinking of MERCI

I was wondering :) KA is indeed a great album, especially the closing "hallelujah" section is spellbinding! Merci is certainly "different", but quite enjoyable in places all the same. I wish they had recorded a studio album a couple years earlier with the lineup of Bobino concert, that would have been ace :D

Aug 16, 2014, 20:32

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

JS recommended K.A. to me as an introduction. I'm no Magma expert but I'd say it's a good intro.

I could watch vids of Vander drumming all day!

Aug 17, 2014, 12:35

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Yes! He seems possessed...but in a nice way.
Amazing drumming: so powerful but agile at the same time.

Aug 17, 2014, 20:57

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Klaus Kombalad is actually based on the piano music outro of "Riah Sahiltaahk", an early Vander sidelong epic from "1001 Centigrades" LP, which is Magma's second album. While few Magma songs sound anything like "Klaus Kombalad", the whole second LP is similar in texture (Fender Rhodes, horns and reeds).

Aug 18, 2014, 16:20

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

wonderful response! it makes me all the more intrigued!

Aug 19, 2014, 21:18

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

True.
Magma's second album (originally titled "2") has all the ingredients to be one of their best, but I find it somehow not fully realized.
I think the main problem is the vocals, which is the weakest element in the first album also.
Christian Vander has said that the release was a bit rushed and some of the material that could/should have been included was still unfinished and could not be recorded.
Nevertheless it is still worth listening to and possibly owning as well.

Aug 19, 2014, 21:39

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
velvetwater wrote:
I have just realized that when we were discussing about the K.A. album I was thinking of MERCI

I was wondering :) KA is indeed a great album, especially the closing "hallelujah" section is spellbinding! Merci is certainly "different", but quite enjoyable in places all the same. I wish they had recorded a studio album a couple years earlier with the lineup of Bobino concert, that would have been ace :D

Quick question - on the KA album on my iTunes track 3 is ~21.44 minutes in length. I am sure that JS (of this forum) told me that there is a ~40 minute version of the song. Is this true as far as you are aware? I might be going daft here but I'm sure JS even sent it to me (I later lost most of my mp3s so no longer have it).

Curiously there's no mention of a 40 minute version on Discogs :-/

Jun 04, 2017, 21:44

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Quick question - on the KA album on my iTunes track 3 is ~21.44 minutes in length. I am sure that JS (of this forum) told me that there is a ~40 minute version of the song. Is this true as far as you are aware? I might be going daft here but I'm sure JS even sent it to me (I later lost most of my mp3s so no longer have it).

Curiously there's no mention of a 40 minute version on Discogs :-/

No idea about that, sorry! There is the original version of the first half of KA part 3, otherwise known as "Om Zanka". A live version from the 70s was released on the inedits album in 1977:

Also early versions of most of the KA tracks seem to be available from a 1973 rehearsal tape:

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/magma-kohntarkosz-anteria-original-1973-a-105679.html

If I remember correctly I think I used to have an instrumental version of the KA studio album as well which I downloaded from somewhere or other.

But not sure about a 40 minute version of that particular section. Maybe from a live recording...?

Jun 17, 2017, 10:53

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index