Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
youtube and soundcloud... music promotion gone wrong?
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

youtube and soundcloud... music promotion gone wrong?

So I was irritated today that a music video a friend posted on facebook forced me to listen to an advert first. That actually wouldn't be so bad, it's just the name of the game really. But the advert was another crappy band's song! That's just so wrong.

Also I wanted to ask about soundcloud. I just listened to a song, a good one btw, by a new band The Galaxy Electric. Then after that, another song kicked in. It wasn't the other Galaxy Electric song they have up. It was apparently a random song in a player on the bottom of the page. That kind of sucked too.

Aug 23, 2014, 20:29

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: youtube and soundcloud... music promotion gone wrong?

You can differentiate crappy music and advertisements?

Aug 24, 2014, 08:44

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
So I was irritated today that a music video a friend posted on facebook forced me to listen to an advert first. That actually wouldn't be so bad, it's just the name of the game really. But the advert was another crappy band's song! That's just so wrong.

Also I wanted to ask about soundcloud. I just listened to a song, a good one btw, by a new band The Galaxy Electric. Then after that, another song kicked in. It wasn't the other Galaxy Electric song they have up. It was apparently a random song in a player on the bottom of the page. That kind of sucked too.

YouTube advertising seems to get gradually more intrusive - those visual text adverts/links plonked over the videos are also irksome. I wonder if they are doing what Spotify did and heading for a paid ad-free service to avoid all that. I have been known to click on a YouTube track and wonder for several seconds why an artist's music has become so bland and commercial - only to realise I'm listening to one of those adverts.

I've had that on Soundcloud, where after the track/s you are listening to a seemingly unrelated artist's music will automatically play next. I once discovered something really good that way (can't remember what), but generally a bit annoying.

Aug 24, 2014, 12:47

matthew6
matthew6
1901 posts

Adblock doesn't work on youtube anymore?

Aug 24, 2014, 22:35

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Thank you for ignoring my comment the forum is so much more fun and free since Sue came along and mandated our decorum. I love it most when she talks about other fans and it's always a pant wetter when she inadvertently insults Laetitia. Makes me wonder what the fuck she's doing here was she out one day looking for people Betsey Wetsey in their picnic basket? Initially I thought she was a man. No woman PMs another woman 5 times in 2 days that's like whacked out dude stuff. I'm not putting up with tyrant anymore.

Aug 25, 2014, 05:16

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

One of the few people on these forums who for some reason tolerated your obnoxious brand of madness and (evidently) reached out to you at a human level seems to receive the brunt of your vitriol these days. Keep it classy.

Aug 25, 2014, 22:47

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Quite funny: I was going through some recent uploads on the DGM Live YouTube channel (as the recent King Crimson tour had just started) and one of them, before I could see it, was preceded by the ad promoting the new Blonde Redhead! Usually I get a bunch of Estonian commercials, but now I saw an ad for the fantastic new BR album! Guess I'm yet to see terrible music being promoted.

Sep 11, 2014, 21:06

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

I hear you, but I fear the day they block all music from youtube and other sites for copyright infringement.

Sep 12, 2014, 04:41

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

It's ok. there's no fanfare no hooplah no big fat lies. so i guess it's good.

Sep 13, 2014, 11:04

geoffkray
12 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
It's ok. there's no fanfare no hooplah no big fat lies. so i guess it's good.

On principle, it's mandatory to disable ads on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JVRoeXUPw

Oct 04, 2014, 21:07