Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Something Shines - thread for reactions and general chatter
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts
Sep 22, 2014, 19:38

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Something Shines - thread for reactions and general chatter

oh wonderful! I think I'll go Mp3 till winter. vinyl up once it's cold or should i order fresh ? confused. My weather here is in the eighties.

Sep 22, 2014, 22:06

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Have a turntable but need a better needle. speakers not a problem. Need a good needle.

Sep 22, 2014, 22:09

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Have 2 turntables one with a broken arm the other a cheap needle. Can't wait to hear this.

Sep 22, 2014, 22:11

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Now every state commerative metric dime no standard weight. 25 ent piece same thing . standard weight 5 cent nickel. even nickel commerative state.

Sep 22, 2014, 22:20

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I bought it off iTunes this morning. am hoping to get a vinyl copy at one of her shows in the US (inevitable, I hope??).

I'm on my 3rd listen. I can say that I've reacted most favorably to the opening and closing tracks. of course, I really like the single that was released a few months ago. the sparse political track is clearly the one that people will have some beef with, but these call-to-action songs are a signature element on Lae's albums.

I think I need to listen a lot more before writing more feedback. Something Shines, off the bat, doesn't seem as immediate as Silencio. I'm eager to get it to know it better though. it'll be nice to listen to this later on my good speakers with a glass of wine.

Sep 23, 2014, 17:07

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts

It seems to me as if Laetitia has made a conscious choice here to make a record that's more fragmentary and less accessible than Silencio.

e.g. in the longer, multi-part songs like Quantum Soup and The Scene of the Lie and Butter Side Up you can hear the joins. While the shorter songs feel like they could be parts of longer songs, if you see what I mean.

The Giorgio Tuma song ('Release from the Centre of Your Heart') is an obvious stand out, not least because it is a lot more polished and has a much bigger sound*. Here the relatively short length is a plus; yes it ends too soon for my liking, but if it had been longer it would have probably stood out more, unbalnced the album by overwhelming the other tracks.

*different studio & engineer, different musicians to the rest of the album

Sep 23, 2014, 17:55

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Debut Video:
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/laetitia-sadier-stereolab-video-premiere/

Direct embedded video if you don't want to go to New York Times article:
"Release from the Centre of Your Heart" (English) (OFFICIAL VIDEO)

Sep 23, 2014, 20:02

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

What a gorgeous video!!!!!

Sep 23, 2014, 20:36

suggestive_devil
suggestive_devil
106 posts

ce que c'est BEAU, dis donc !!!

sorry !
my first words were in french ! ;)

I simply NEED laetitia's last album for sure right now !

:D

Sep 23, 2014, 21:14

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index