Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Fun political quiz (US)
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Thessaly
57 posts

Re: Fun political quiz (US)

Personal Score 58%
Economic Score 38%

It says I'm a moderate liberal, though I consider myself pretty far left. Not counting the gun control, campaign funds, and armed forces questions might have made me more centrist though.

My highest match was 50% with Clinton, 48% with Obama and Nader. This is about the only quiz where Nader and any Dem are considered so close on positions, which makes it a little suspect

Oct 08, 2008, 19:37

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

easychord
69 posts

There is merit in being true to your personal convictions but sometimes you have to put that aside in favor of the larger than yourself commomn good. With the presidential race so close between the two main players a vote for a third party is indeed wasted when you think of the impact for example of having 4 more years of Republican rule.

Oct 09, 2008, 18:29

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Of course, of course...there's always an excuse, always a reasonable argument for why we surely must keep Corporate Whore A out and all costs, and how therefore it would be a waste of one's ballot to vote for anyone other than Corporate Whore B.

Honestly, it's not that I don't see the differences between McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden, I do. It's just that I also see that they're two sides of the same coin, two parties permanently entwined, one completing the other, both sucking on basically the same corporate teats and force-feeding the public the doctrine that choices C, D, E, etc. are jokes, that A vs. B is the only game in town. A sick duopoly, unheard of in most of the world (and worse in many ways than Malaysia's Barisan Nasional, which is at least a coalition) and truly unrepresentative of the population as a whole.

Granted, third parties would be more viable if the US were to move to a parliamentary form of government, but the national pride associated with having the oldest living constitution automatically equates all suggestions of revamping the American political process in any meaningful way with sacrilege. Therefore, the only way it's EVER going to change is by people like me (and a lot of others here on this board) refusing to vote for a candidate who does not represent our views. If not now, when?!

Oct 09, 2008, 19:05

easychord
69 posts

A third political party would be great, especially if it was neck and neck with the other two in a race. I can not tell you for certain why an independent party has not risen to adequate prominence in the USA. Even if we claim to be liberal, I suppose we are still a conservative lot in the sense that we stick with the tried and true (not that it has been true) or that most of us are followers and not willing to be leaders. Unfortunately, being a successful political party in this Capitalist society is prohibitively expensive, thus making it difficult for a third party to rise up to prominence. I could stand on the street corner and shout about this and everyone will clap in acknowledgement, but that would be as far as it goes. Given this, a wealthy individual needs to emerge from one of the other two parties as an independent. His or her platform would have to appeal strongly to members of the other two parties so as not to be labeled a ?maverick? or as someone standing on shaky moral ground. Both parties like you say are swalking about making CHANGES. I think genuine change could only be accomplished by a third party. When is this going to happen? Unfortunately, only after we get smashed really hard in a cataclysmic way

Oct 09, 2008, 20:08

atheist
5 posts

very cool, the quiz absolutely nailed my choices, correct order too

Clinton
McKinney
Moore
Nader
Obama
La Riva
McCain
Baldwin
Barr

Oct 10, 2008, 00:29

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

wracket wrote:
Of course, of course...there's always an excuse, always a reasonable argument for why we surely must keep Corporate Whore A out and all costs, and how therefore it would be a waste of one's ballot to vote for anyone other than Corporate Whore B.

I don't consider Obama a corporate whore. Unless you say that we should fund our campaigns differently than we do now, which is of course a reasonable argument, more so than just calling them whores. But I don't blame Obama for having to take contributions, and I do not think he's a whore for doing so.

wracket wrote:
Honestly, it's not that I don't see the differences between McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden, I do. It's just that I also see that they're two sides of the same coin, two parties permanently entwined, one completing the other, both sucking on basically the same corporate teats and force-feeding the public the doctrine that choices C, D, E, etc. are jokes, that A vs. B is the only game in town. A sick duopoly, unheard of in most of the world (and worse in many ways than Malaysia's Barisan Nasional, which is at least a coalition) and truly unrepresentative of the population as a whole.

I totally disagree with you. I think in some ways our system is much more balanced and successful than many other countries, and it may be because it has to have a more moderate stance to be successful. Yes we're a capitalist system. Not many people really want it otherwise in our country. And yes, the parties tend to be stronger when they are closer to the middle, than the extreme left or right. But still, in many areas the political platforms of the two prominent parties have opposing views on topics of importance to people around the country, so the third party candidates that have existed in the past have eaten into one side or the other.

wracket wrote:
Granted, third parties would be more viable if the US were to move to a parliamentary form of government, but the national pride associated with having the oldest living constitution automatically equates all suggestions of revamping the American political process in any meaningful way with sacrilege. Therefore, the only way it's EVER going to change is by people like me (and a lot of others here on this board) refusing to vote for a candidate who does not represent our views. If not now, when?!

I don't think the arguments against changing to a parliamentary system are entirely based on pride or irrational emotion.

Oct 10, 2008, 05:13

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

It has very little to do with the US being a capitalist country. I'm a capitalist of sorts...hell, I make my living in the very heart of the capitalist beast. But if you think that the Democrats are any less owned by Big Business than the Republicans, it simply isn't true. So yes, Obama is very much so a corporate whore, though I respect your choice to prefer him to McCain (and I particularly respect the choice to prefer nearly anyone to Palin).

Oct 10, 2008, 07:36

allyourrushingwaves
allyourrushingwaves
219 posts

Personal Matching Score: 75%
Barack Obama matches your views on personal issues very highly.

Economic Matching Score: 46%
Barack Obama poorly matches your views on economic issues.

You agree with Barack Obama significantly more on personal issues than on economic issues. You will likely agree with Barack Obama on issues like morality, lifestyle, and civil rights, but will not agree as well on issues like taxes, budget, and spending issues.

Comparing Personal Answers between You and Barack Obama

You

Barack Obama
Abortion is a woman`s right Strongly Support Strongly Support
Sexual orientation protected by civil rights laws Support Strongly Support
Teach family values in public schools Oppose Oppose
Death Penalty Strongly Oppose Oppose
Mandatory Three Strikes Sentencing Laws Strongly Oppose Strongly Oppose
Drug use is immoral: enforce laws against it Support Support
Illegal immigrants earn citizenship Support Support
More Spending on Armed Forces Strongly Oppose Support

Comparing Economic Answers between You and Barack Obama

You

Barack Obama
Require companies to hire more women and minorities Oppose Strongly Support
More federal funding for health coverage Strongly Support Support
Privatize Social Security Oppose Strongly Oppose
Parents Choose Schools via Vouchers Oppose Oppose
Replace coal & oil with alternatives Support Strongly Support
Allow churches to provide welfare services Support Support
Make taxes more progressive Support Strongly Support
Support and Expand Free Trade Support Oppose
Stricter limits on political campaign funds Support Strongly Support
The Patriot Act harms civil liberties Support Strongly Support

Oct 10, 2008, 09:01

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

wracket wrote:
It has very little to do with the US being a capitalist country. I'm a capitalist of sorts...hell, I make my living in the very heart of the capitalist beast. But if you think that the Democrats are any less owned by Big Business than the Republicans, it simply isn't true. So yes, Obama is very much so a corporate whore, though I respect your choice to prefer him to McCain (and I particularly respect the choice to prefer nearly anyone to Palin).

Because they all take contributions from corporations does not make them owned by them. Most candidates take contributions from conflicting sides of issues, it does not follow that they will do all their bidding. Unless candidates are mega wealthy, this is the way it is funded right now. I agree that that should change. I'm not naive, but I also think it takes more than campaign funding to dictate the platform and issues of at least the democratic candidates.

Oct 11, 2008, 03:46

Egyptian scientist
6 posts

You scored the following on the PoliticsMatch questions:

Personal Score 80%
Economic Score 21%

Hard-Core Liberal .

Oct 12, 2008, 14:25

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index