Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Best of 2014
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

Re: Best of 2014

Oops, forgot to add these gems...

BADBADNOTGOOD - 'III'

Grouper - 'Ruins'

Dec 21, 2014, 01:29

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

For me, finally discovering the extensive back-catalogue of the greatest living American.... Tom Waits.

Song-writing quality-control is top-notch throughout.

Dec 21, 2014, 15:08

wracket
wracket
1427 posts

That Arch Garrison was nice...checked out a few other tracks, might have to seek it out!

Dec 23, 2014, 00:00

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

wracket wrote:
That Arch Garrison was nice...checked out a few other tracks, might have to seek it out!

Yes, they've made two albums that have very quickly become favourites. There music lies somewhere between Nick Drake and Robert Wyatt with hints of classical, African and prog.

Dec 24, 2014, 14:58

Thessaly
57 posts

Dec 26, 2014, 04:13

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

Not when my boss died.

Dec 26, 2014, 21:02

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

The Velvet Underground's S/T 3rd album re-release

The Velvet Underground - 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition

http://www.discogs.com/Velvet-Underground-The-Velvet-Underground/release/6346541

If you're a fan of VU, this is absolutely essential. The live recordings on discs 5 & 6 are pristine (originally recorded in 4 track from the soundboard). The 3rd disc contains vastly improved mixes of their 'lost 4th album' (trying to stay true to the original recordings, not the 1980's style mix abominations of the previously released versions).

It's a revelation, truly. Evem better than their last 2 "super deluxe" releases.

Dec 31, 2014, 03:40

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

I'm working my way through a whole batch of new albums I got for Christmas - including this one:

I adore the Soundcarriers and really love this record.

Among the other stuff, the Sam Lee album is excellent. Otherwise all good older albums including a Joni Mitchell box set - her first 10 albums - flippin' marvellouus stuff.

Jan 07, 2015, 13:12

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Loved "Demo" by new band Failed Flowers!!!

Jan 14, 2015, 05:46

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

Morgan Delt and Ariel Pink were my top choices. abused them both to death.

I really liked Tori Amos' album. I was one of those overly eager Torifile queers of the mid-90's. I hadn't been into much she produced over the past decade, but this album sparked an interest in her again. I spent a few months revisiting her back catalog and enjoyed it immensely. such a great voice.

Andy Stott and Caribou were nice surprises. listened to them a ton towards the end of the year.

how 'bout that Cibo Matto album! man, that was sure fun!

honorable mentions: Trust, Soundcarriers and Vashti Bunyan.

I liked Laetitia's album quite a bit once I got used to it, but I have to say that I'm ready for her embrace a sound that's far less political. my mind keeps going back to her masterpiece, Monstre Cosmic.

Feb 01, 2015, 18:54

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index