Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

I've been revisiting some Llamas stuff recently. O'hagan's work to me seems understated; the stuff like "Cuckoo Casino", "Dressing up the Old Dakota", and "Over the River" to me are complete bliss. I haven't read many interviews with him but thinking of studying a bit more and checking out Microdisney. He had such a huge part in Labs peak I think w/ his collaborations with Tim on Emperor, Cobra, and Dots. Still I find their records tracks hit or miss, but when I like a Llamas song; I really like it.

Jan 05, 2015, 01:35


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

vista7@hotmail.com wrote:
I've been revisiting some Llamas stuff recently. O'hagan's work to me seems understated; the stuff like "Cuckoo Casino", "Dressing up the Old Dakota", and "Over the River" to me are complete bliss. I haven't read many interviews with him but thinking of studying a bit more and checking out Microdisney. He had such a huge part in Labs peak I think w/ his collaborations with Tim on Emperor, Cobra, and Dots. Still I find their records tracks hit or miss, but when I like a Llamas song; I really like it.


Not really many interviews to be found on Youtube..

Seems like a very interesting guy in this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lei1FFjb4k&list=PLKnvZNzZggTppABcvhMZUL-IZCMXSFGVG

Jan 05, 2015, 01:37


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

vista7@hotmail.com wrote:
but thinking of studying a bit more and checking out Microdisney.


I had one of their albums once. I was interested to hear what a band with both O'Hagan and Cathal Coughlan (who's music I really like - a lot lot darker than the High Llamas). To me they are very much of their era - 80s pop - some good tracks but generally I was disappointed. Only the odd hint of The High Llamas sound.

This clip on YouTube is very interesting - I think some of the audience were angry at the band for the dig in the lyrics at Boy George or George Michael and singer Coughlin gets very agitated about it (O'Hagan stays very much in the background throughout).



Jan 05, 2015, 11:45


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mikka000
1083 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

it's a shame when 'indie' ppl or whatever make digs at pop stars. like when jarvis got up and danced in michael jackson's performance at the brits like a dickhead. michael, boy george and george michael are a part of pop's canon and they made great contributions. leave 'em alone i say.

Jan 05, 2015, 13:28


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

I listened to the Crying Game last week:).
High Llamas good, very good. I have Buzzle Bee which features a lot of Mary and Laetitia and I love BM&C And also the last two CDs. I haven't been disappointed. Gotta get the single at Ghost Box. Boo👻
That Mr. VD Parks interesting character.

Jan 05, 2015, 14:49


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

Harold Bissonette wrote:
vista7@hotmail.com wrote:
but thinking of studying a bit more and checking out Microdisney.


I had one of their albums once. I was interested to hear what a band with both O'Hagan and Cathal Coughlan (who's music I really like - a lot lot darker than the High Llamas). To me they are very much of their era - 80s pop - some good tracks but generally I was disappointed. Only the odd hint of The High Llamas sound.

This clip on YouTube is very interesting - I think some of the audience were angry at the band for the dig in the lyrics at Boy George or George Michael and singer Coughlin gets very agitated about it (O'Hagan stays very much in the background throughout).



I was checking out Microdisney yesterday as well. They are described as a "seminal" band. I put it in the same category as I would Echo and the Bunnymen, early R.E.M, Let's Active, or Gang of 4. Not really that impressed either but I guess they had a pretty decent following in England in the early to mid-80's.

Jan 05, 2015, 19:31


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

Eddie Chargeman wrote:
I listened to the Crying Game last week:).
High Llamas good, very good. I have Buzzle Bee which features a lot of Mary and Laetitia and I love BM&C And also the last two CDs. I haven't been disappointed. Gotta get the single at Ghost Box. Boo👻
That Mr. VD Parks interesting character.


I'll have to check it out. I think Sean's most significant contributions to music have been any collaborations he has done with Mary, Latetia, Tim, and or any combination of the 4. I need to go through the credits and see what songs exactly they credit O'Hagan as co-writing; his influence is all over Emperor to Dots.

Jan 05, 2015, 19:35


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

I think he's on Sound-Dust , too. Some contributions there if I'm not mistaken (entirely possible). I listened to that whole interview then I listened to mister Parks music. Kind of sounds like Nihllson?! Then Microdisney. Huh huh huh. Not a fan of that singer.
Thanks for posting

Jan 05, 2015, 20:09


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

Eddie Chargeman wrote:
I think he's on Sound-Dust , too. Some contributions there if I'm not mistaken (entirely possible). I listened to that whole interview then I listened to mister Parks music. Kind of sounds like Nihllson?! Then Microdisney. Huh huh huh. Not a fan of that singer.
Thanks for posting


I think you are right; he had contributions on SoundDust, and I don't think he did on Margarine Eclipse. I have digitized most of my Lab albums so I don't have them readily available to search through the credits. Maybe someone has more knowledge on this.

Jan 06, 2015, 02:24


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mikka000
1083 posts

Re: High Llamas and Sean O'hagan..

Sean hasn't 'co-written' many 'Lab songs as such (1 on Space Age..., 1 on MAQ) however he has provided brass and string arrangements on most Stereolab albums after he stopped being a full 'member' as on Space Age and TRNBWA.

Jan 06, 2015, 09:43

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index