Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Multiphonic Rodent (repost)
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

Re: Multiphonic Rodent (repost)

revox wrote:
Stereo Mouse wrote:
If you like Stereolab, Tortoise, Caribou, Soft Machine and Terry Riley, it's likely you'll dig what I do as well.

Hm. Sorry, dude, this does nothing whatsoever for me, and I well like the references you've had the confidence to associate yourself with - you think that what you do is like Terry Riley? Wow. Sorry.

Hey, if you dislike it that's one thing, there's no need to put someone down for sharing their artistic expression. i've posted my music on here before and i'm sure it is terrible when compared to the references above, but nobody starts off at the top.

Jan 26, 2009, 23:28

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

whisperscream
whisperscream
174 posts

Rudex is overcompensating.

Jan 27, 2009, 02:07

revox
revox
800 posts

waxenpith wrote:
revox wrote:

Hm. Sorry, dude, this does nothing whatsoever for me, and I well like the references you've had the confidence to associate yourself with - you think that what you do is like Terry Riley? Wow. Sorry.

Play nice revox. No one comes to your job and slaps the cock out of your mouth.

;)

HeHeHeHe - Are you suggesting that it sucks as much as I do???????

Jan 27, 2009, 07:34

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Who would've guessed. I've always wondered when the time comes along that someone lambastes my music, but I would have NEVER in my life guessed that it'll happen on a Stereolab message board! Man, life is full of surprises.

As for the idea that I think I'm like Terry Riley, gee what can I say, mea culpa. Then again, I have to refer to Nick Mason who cited Chico Hamilton as an influence for his drumming on "Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun" who said this: "You can pick up an influence without being able to do a quarter of what that influence does."

Jan 27, 2009, 08:50

revox
revox
800 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
Who would've guessed. I've always wondered when the time comes along that someone lambastes my music, but I would have NEVER in my life guessed that it'll happen on a Stereolab message board! Man, life is full of surprises.

As for the idea that I think I'm like Terry Riley, gee what can I say, mea culpa. Then again, I have to refer to Nick Mason who cited Chico Hamilton as an influence for his drumming on "Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun" who said this: "You can pick up an influence without being able to do a quarter of what that influence does."

Yeah, life is full of surprises, you get five good votes of confidence and only one of indifference and your own confidence bottoms out; dude, does my opinion really matter?

Listen, I admire you for posting back, if not for your noodlings.

You've utiilised the decency of whomever keeps the forum (martin, the groop etc) to publicise yourself TWICE.
This is a Stereolab forum, not a StereoMouse forum, isn't it?
Anyways, I've no problem with this, it's not my place, actually there is another post today with links to other peoples' noodlings. Fine.

My bewilderment begins with, and I quote, "If you like Stereolab, Tortoise, Caribou, Soft Machine and Terry Riley, it's likely you'll dig what I do as well."

Huh? You were 7 years old when Stereolab and Tortoise formed, your own parents were probably only 10 when Soft Machine started, but what caps it is Terry Riley, he has an MA in Composition, and you place yourself in the same camp! Man, that is what the French refer to as a Faux Pas.

It is not an artist's place to put themselves in anyone's camp, that is the role of an artist's audience, anyone in fact, but NOT the artist.

If you had a little humility and quoted those artists as influences you may have had more people (including myself) going "oh, yeah, I can hear that, cool", but, to place yourself in the same category as people that have legitimately worked in a crappy business to get where they are year after year sweating on the road and in the studio for every ounce of recognition... well, you can finish the sentence.

What has really made me smile though is when you state "I started out on guitar at age 12. Drums age 19. Everything else after age 21, when I realized there's only so much you can do with these two instruments."

Jesus, why did Django bother getting up in the mornings (he had only two fu?%ing fingers fer christ's sake), and how Gene Krupa managed to leave through the front door every day is anyone's guess, how have you coped?

And with regard to Nick Mason, read your post again - "Nick Mason who cited Chico Hamilton as an influence for his drumming on "Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun" who said this: "You can pick up an influence without being able to do a quarter of what that influence does.""

Too right, get that, NICK MASON CITED CHICO HAMILTON AS AN INFLUENCE - Nick Mason humbly acknowledged a fellow traveller in music, he wasn't prancing around shouting "hey guys if you like what Chico's doin' then you're goin' to love what I'm doin' coz me an' Chico, well, we'z like made of the same kinda stuff! Yeah! Me. Chico. Chico. Me."

I agree with Labhead, things start to look up at 4:50 and the end is cool, but the most right of the posts is jauntymonty who cleverly, and far more diplomatically than me, points out that you need someone else (a nice readhead would be cool), but as your kit is saying "I'm serious", then you NEED at least one other creative human being, and that's all I'm going to say.

Good luck.

Jan 27, 2009, 23:07

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

I can't be bothered to respond to most of revox's latest post. Many of his arguments that supposedly served to attack my artistic integrity could be summed up as elitist demagogy. Delivered of course with a petty bickering tone. This is what any serious music critic (and yes, I write music reviews too, in case some didn't know that) has to refrain from. But one thing has to be corrected:

Revox apparently took offense with the fact that this thread is a repost. Indeed it is. But one thing deserves consideration. The first post was on the old board. Old board crashed. Therefore, with old threads gone, at some point I re-posted again. Nothing wrong with that. This isn't arrogance. I gave a new chance for others to listen. It is up to anyone whether or not one pays attention. I'm not obliging anyone. Period.

Jan 28, 2009, 07:21

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index