Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Woah! Tim & Sean remix Todd, Emil & Hans-Peter
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

Woah! Tim & Sean remix Todd, Emil & Hans-Peter

Not heard yet, but on paper this is, like, all my favourite things in one track!

http://www.stereogum.com/1807032/runddans-put-your-arms-around-me-stereolabthe-high-llamas-remix-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

Jun 09, 2015, 21:01

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: Woah! Tim & Sean remix Todd, Emil & Hans-Peter

I was always a huge TR fan - although I do need to do some catching up on his last decade or so. On first couple of listens I find this remix a bit thin (I think that's the word I'm looking for) compared to the lush mind-warpingness of the original. I do like the central arpeggio/multi vocal bit a lot, though.

This is the original (which is quite Tame Impalaesque in parts, I think):

Jun 10, 2015, 12:54

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
On first couple of listens I find this remix a bit thin (I think that's the word I'm looking for) compared to the lush mind-warpingness of the original.

Yeah, it's certainly a minimalist remix.

I actually have the Runddans album on CD already. Probably worth noting at this point that "Put Your Arms Around Me" is the central focus of the whole album, with almost all the other tracks either building up to it or deconstructing its melody. You are supposed to absorb it in one continuous 39 minute gulp, I think. Sadly, the execution doesn't quite match the ambition in my opinion.

However, that ambition does make the remixes more interesting than usually is the case with these things, as they represent alternative perspectives on said deconstruction. At the moment, I think I like the Erol Alkan rework best, if only because its disco feel out-Lindstrøms Lindstrøm.

But I agree the EYE remix should be interesting!

Jun 10, 2015, 15:51

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

… um, 'agree' as in agree with the commenter on the Stereogum page.

Jun 10, 2015, 16:04

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Wow the original to me seems like a confused mishmash, maybe too many cooks kind of feeling, not at all cohesive like a Tame Impalas tune in my opinion. I admit I have never been a Todd Rundgren fan, no offense to big fans on here. There of course have been some good songs, and have influenced many, such as my er um Tame Impala.

I like the remix as I hear the typical O'Hagan/Gane sounds here and there. And any time it sounds remotely Stereolabby I grab onto it like I want to wring every morsel out. Still don't like Todd's vocals, never have.

Jun 10, 2015, 21:34

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

I know he was a good producer, I was reminded of XTC- Skylarking today in fact...

Jun 10, 2015, 22:13