Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
your recent finds: cds vinyls books instruments ...
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

Re: your recent finds: cds vinyls books instruments ...

Baden Powell, love it! Thanks for posting that.

Jul 01, 2015, 02:12

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

Mysteryhello wrote:
Hobo, what should we listen to in arabian music? Ancestral or not.
The prayers from mosques are a bit fascinating for strangers like me. Do you have some links with classical prayers with french or english translations? Thanks.

To be honest I know very little about Arabic music. I too find the call to prayer to be a fascinating sound. Regardless of how one feels about Islam (or religion in general for that matter) when a person is expressing some deep seated belief in this way it can make for pretty powerful listening IMHO. Sometimes I like to stop around the Mosques just to hear the sound. I am based in one of the more modern (largely expat) communities so there aren't as many Mosques here, but in the older part of town the "Adhan" was inescapable. The place I used to work was located there and walking home from the office you would be bombarded from all directions with various loudspeakers blaring. Again it was a quite fascinating experience.

You hear more on this time of year as we are in Ramadan at the moment. When attending the traditional Iftar evening meal where Muslims break their fast, you can enjoy some Arabic folk music usually from just one guy sitting playing the Oud and singing, sometimes more of a band format. What they are singing about I am not sure, it could be something religious or maybe just the usual kind of folk tale subjects about rural life, boys and girls, etc. I enjoy this sound quite a lot as well, but have never really looked into it in any detail.

Here are few examples of the stuff I mean:

Jul 01, 2015, 16:27

Mysteryhello
Mysteryhello
567 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
[quote="Mysteryhello"]Hobo, what should we listen to in arabian music? Ancestral or not.
The prayers from mosques are a bit fascinating for strangers like me. Do you have some links with classical prayers with french or english translations? Thanks.

To be honest I know very little about Arabic music. I too find the call to prayer to be a fascinating sound. Regardless of how one feels about Islam (or religion in general for that matter) when a person is expressing some deep seated belief in this way it can make for pretty powerful listening IMHO. Sometimes I like to stop around the Mosques just to hear the sound. I am based in one of the more modern (largely expat) communities so there aren't as many Mosques here, but in the older part of town the "Adhan" was inescapable. The place I used to work was located there and walking home from the office you would be bombarded from all directions with various loudspeakers blaring. Again it was a quite fascinating experience.

You hear more on this time of year as we are in Ramadan at the moment. When attending the traditional Iftar evening meal where Muslims break their fast, you can enjoy some Arabic folk music usually from just one guy sitting playing the Oud and singing, sometimes more of a band format. What they are singing about I am not sure, it could be something religious or maybe just the usual kind of folk tale subjects about rural life, boys and girls, etc. I enjoy this sound quite a lot as well, but have never really looked into it in any detail.

Thank you for your response and the links. It's beautiful Ha i love all female singers! :)

Jul 01, 2015, 22:22

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
[quote="Mysteryhello"]Hobo, what should we listen to in arabian music? Ancestral or not.

Oh I forgot about Omar Souleyman :D

Here is a video of him live in Glasgow 5 years ago, combining the previous themes. Fun times! I miss gigs in Glasgow....

Jul 04, 2015, 09:37

Mysteryhello
Mysteryhello
567 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
Hobobachang wrote:

Oh I forgot about Omar Souleyman :D

Here is a video of him live in Glasgow 5 years ago, combining the previous themes. Fun times! I miss gigs in Glasgow....

Ha thank you that's very refreshing. I begin to look after Omar!

Jul 04, 2015, 22:04

Mysteryhello
Mysteryhello
567 posts

Eddie Chargeman wrote:
Baden Powell, love it! Thanks for posting that.

My finds today. Another Baden Powell!

- Baden powell - solitude on guitar LP

- Nina simone - ne me quitte pas LP

Jul 11, 2015, 23:30

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index