Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Synchronicity in Music
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Synchronicity in Music

Not the Police song (which oddly enough has some vague echos of the groop sound, what with it's motorik pulse and overlapping vocal lines) :P

Has anybody ever had weird experiences where something in the music they are listening to lines up in seemingly impossible coincidences to the world around?

This happened to me twice in quick succession, about 3 years ago. Once, and maybe I wouldn't have thought anything of it. But these occurrences were only a couple of days apart, so at the time I was pretty freaked out by them!

1. I was going home one day and on my headphones was BOC's "Music has the right to children". "Aquarius" is playing (loudly!) and I get in the lift (elevator). The exact moment when I pressed the button for my floor (5) is during the counting sequence at the end of the track, and the voice said "five" right in that same split second when my finger touched the button. What's the chances?! (3:08)

2. A couple of days later, I was walking outside on my way home from work. It was dark already and I was listening to a podcast I had downloaded of Mike Huckaby (that's Detroit legend Mike Huckaby, not Mike Huckabee the former governor of Arkansas!). It was a long file and so I hadn't listened all the way through, and had no clue what might come next. I rounded a corner and happened to gaze up in the sky, noticing for the first time there was a huge full moon that evening. At that exact same instance (down to the split second), a vocal track I'd never heard before was playing and the words went "one minute gazing at the moon...." (1:12:46). It was some super freaky moment!

(Podcast is good especially section from 25 mins thru 55 mins)

Nothing like that has really happened since, but I do vaguely remember some similar things happening a few years back :P

Spooky....or just coincidence?

Aug 24, 2015, 18:01

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Re: Synchronicity in Music

Hobobachang wrote:

The better Synchronicity and my fave Police song.... yes I've had these moments too but cant remember the specifics. Dejavu moments for sure...... although there was this one time that I had both Tone Bursts play consecutively with my mp3 set to 'random'... but that's not exactly what you are getting at

Aug 27, 2015, 09:53

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Spooky!

I've had very small synchronous moments I notice, but nothing I can remember. Mostly when music says a word that someone is saying at the same time, things like that.

Aug 27, 2015, 23:35

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2784 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
1. I was going home one day and on my headphones was BOC's "Music has the right to children". "Aquarius" is playing (loudly!)

Couple comments, not related to the synchronicity theme...

Just wanted to say I adore "Aquarius" and consider BoC a very important band, really groundbreaking in all the best ways.

Hobobachang wrote:
2. A couple of days later, I was walking outside on my way home from work. It was dark already and I was listening to a podcast I had downloaded of Mike Huckaby (that's Detroit legend Mike Huckaby

I used to shop at Record Time in Detroit and chatted w Mike about music when he worked there in the 90;s.

Aug 28, 2015, 01:40

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

Aug 28, 2015, 05:16

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

matthew6 wrote:
The better Synchronicity and my fave Police song.... yes I've had these moments too but cant remember the specifics. Dejavu moments for sure...... although there was this one time that I had both Tone Bursts play consecutively with my mp3 set to 'random'... but that's not exactly what you are getting at

I think below might be my favourite song by the police. Isn't this a bizarre clip? Sting looks like some proto Kurt Cobain. Nobody is playing the bass, and Stewart Copeland (fantastic drummer BTW) has no bass drum pedal. He and the guitarist are miming nonexistent backing vocals. Copeland's tshirt is awesome :D

"Invisible Sun" is a good one too (which oddly enough given above observation sounds somehow a bit like Nirvana....I'd never made that connection before :P )

Aug 31, 2015, 18:06

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Mu Mu wrote:
Just wanted to say I adore "Aquarius" and consider BoC a very important band, really groundbreaking in all the best ways.

I strongly agree with this sentiment.

Mu Mu wrote:
I used to shop at Record Time in Detroit and chatted w Mike about music when he worked there in the 90;s.

Oh, nice. Seems like a very cool guy! I bet he had a lot of good recommendations :)

Aug 31, 2015, 18:09

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
"Invisible Sun" is a good one too (which oddly enough given above observation sounds somehow a bit like Nirvana...

Good call! That's weird.

Sep 05, 2015, 08:17