Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Young Feminists: The Rowan Blanchard/Amanda Stenberg Generation
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

Young Feminists: The Rowan Blanchard/Amanda Stenberg Generation

Say you will about how this young generation is going to hell in a hand basket but I just don't believe any of it!

The kids are alright.

jezebel.com/rowan-blanchard-13-year-old-disney-star-is-smarter-on-1726137760

Aug 25, 2015, 06:57

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Re: Young Feminists: The Rowan Blanchard/Amanda Stenberg Generation

"cultural appropriation"

O the horror

Aug 25, 2015, 15:06

matthew6
matthew6
1900 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
"cultural appropriation"

O the horror

... although it did include a lot of cultural history which until now I knew nothing about

Aug 26, 2015, 01:03

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

For some reason the hyperlink for the Rowan Blanchard story didn't take on the first go-round:

Aug 26, 2015, 06:18

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

mirtchevman wrote:
For some reason the hyperlink for the Rowan Blanchard story didn't take on the first go-round:

Ah ok, yes you are right, what she wrote is quite good.

Aug 26, 2015, 08:31

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

I don't recall any 13-year-olds in my day who even had the word 'feminism' on their radar. But beyond that, there is a subtlety and nuance to the way these kids address issues which I've never seen before.

In the 90's there were shows like 'My So-Called Life' and 'The Wonder Years' which definitely touched on a host of 'adult' issues somewhat heavy-handedly but maybe that was what was really needed at the time. Perhaps if Twitter or Instagram was around then, Claire Danes or Olivia Jane d'Abo would have been making similar statements on them and would have had the luxury of self-editing along w/ a deeper knowledge of the positive and negative consequences of broad media exposure. That certainly informs how people choose to address subject matter these days.

The medium is in the message.

Aug 26, 2015, 17:50

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
"cultural appropriation"

O the horror

It's a topic certainly worth discussing.

When your cultural identity is important to you and you see a dominant culture use it while still regarding you as a lower social caste, I would say yes, that is pretty horrifying.

In any case, here's a good article that breaks it down for you, in case you give two damns:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/

Aug 26, 2015, 18:08

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

mirtchevman wrote:
vivakomeda wrote:
"cultural appropriation"

O the horror

It's a topic certainly worth discussing.

When your cultural identity is important to you and you see a dominant culture use it while still regarding you as a lower social caste, I would say yes, that is pretty horrifying.

In any case, here's a good article that breaks it down for you, in case you give two damns:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/

And for those w/out the patience or bandwidth to read an article...

Aug 26, 2015, 18:20

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

mirtchevman wrote:
I don't recall any 13-year-olds in my day who even had the word 'feminism' on their radar. But beyond that, there is a subtlety and nuance to the way these kids address issues which I've never seen before.

In the 90's there were shows like 'My So-Called Life' and 'The Wonder Years' which definitely touched on a host of 'adult' issues somewhat heavy-handedly but maybe that was what was really needed at the time. Perhaps if Twitter or Instagram was around then, Claire Danes or Olivia Jane d'Abo would have been making similar statements on them and would have had the luxury of self-editing along w/ a deeper knowledge of the positive and negative consequences of broad media exposure. That certainly informs how people choose to address subject matter these days.

The medium is in the message.

It is pretty common to read about the different subsets of feminism and their struggles these days, but that wasn't the case back in the day. It was about "all" women, but many girls/women didn't understand or have awareness of women who were different from themselves.

Aug 26, 2015, 19:31

matthew6
matthew6
1900 posts

I'd say that people imitating hip hop stars (and their hairstyles) is more of a pop culture phenomenon - fan idolatry.

Aug 27, 2015, 03:42

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index