Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Best albums of 2015
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

Re: Best albums of 2015

I do love the beat in that Beck-Dreams song. Forgot about that one. I don't keep up, is he going to have an album soon?

Dec 18, 2015, 03:18

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

Also need to add,

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
Villagers - Darling Arithmetic
Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
Frazey Ford - Indian Ocean (technically 2014, but I got into it in 2015, so yknow)

Dec 19, 2015, 07:19

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
I do love the beat in that Beck-Dreams song. Forgot about that one. I don't keep up, is he going to have an album soon?

Apparently he brought this out because he needed something a bit livelier to play at live gigs. It should be part of a 'more varied' new album hopefully coming soon (although you never quite know with Beck).

Dec 19, 2015, 12:14

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2015/december/record-sleeves-of-the-year-our-top-10-from-2015/

Someone decided these are the best album sleeves of 2015 - I think popular taste took a turn in one direction and my own taste took a very different turn - I can't say I really like any of these sleeves, one or two are positively vomit-inducing. Oh well.

Btw is the Blur album any good? Not really heard any of it, myself.

Dec 19, 2015, 12:19

hito
hito
1745 posts

Some reasons why I have no idea about the hits of 2015:

"Reflection is non-stop pop-R&B perfection in three-and-a-half minute bursts of hooks, horns and homage (to Mariah, 2pac and Beyoncé, naturally). Girl power hasn't been this fun in years."

"In a year dominated by Big Statement rap albums, Father's Who's Gonna Get Fucked First? says deuces to all that high-minded shit. The album's 12 tracks detail drug-heavy debauchery, music industry bullshit and violent fantasies; no two songs sound alike, and the sonic references bound from 'Tipsy' to 'Oye Mi Canto'. It's an Awful party, and everyone's either gonna get shot or commit suicide - what else did you expect?"

"But Art Angels sees Grimes evolve, Pokemon-style, from the insular bedroom-pop of her breakthrough into a one-woman wrecking crew."

"the ghost of 2pac tells Lamar at the album's close"

"A gooey, twitching collection of club tracks filled with dream-like vocals"

"FKA Twigs"

I just don't care about any of this empty poser rubbish. I don't care about clothes and feel despondent about the focus on fashion. I don't care about millionaires and those that aspire to be a millionaire or dress like a millionaire or hang out with millionaires. What happened to alternative culture?

Dec 20, 2015, 13:03

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

My three favorite jams this year:

Dec 20, 2015, 22:20

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

hito wrote:
...What happened to alternative culture?

This is a fascinating question, Hito. I would argue that it doesn't really exist anymore:

Back in the days when we only had a limited number of choices for our TV and radio consumption, there was an easily identifiable 'mainstream' culture. Artists who were rebellious enough to play a different game and not seek airplay on the mainstream stations were a part of the counter-culture. Those were simple times.

Nowadays, all of that is totally obsolete. There's not much of a monolithic institution to rebel against. Look at Justin Bieber - the dude built his fame with a self-produced YouTube channel and a small community of fans, which is about as punk rock as it gets, except... Well, you know. We're all too old to wrap our minds around it.

Dec 21, 2015, 02:56

mikka000
1083 posts

i don't know about alternative culture or its whereabouts, I wanna know where the tunes went?!

Dec 21, 2015, 08:21

thomas2
thomas2
1693 posts

Plus

Kurt Vile - Wakin' On A Pretty Daze
John Grant - Grey Tickles, Black Pressure

Dec 23, 2015, 11:09

hito
hito
1745 posts

deadlyfingers wrote:
hito wrote:
...What happened to alternative culture?

This is a fascinating question, Hito. I would argue that it doesn't really exist anymore:

Back in the days when we only had a limited number of choices for our TV and radio consumption, there was an easily identifiable 'mainstream' culture. Artists who were rebellious enough to play a different game and not seek airplay on the mainstream stations were a part of the counter-culture. Those were simple times.

Nowadays, all of that is totally obsolete. There's not much of a monolithic institution to rebel against. Look at Justin Bieber - the dude built his fame with a self-produced YouTube channel and a small community of fans, which is about as punk rock as it gets, except... Well, you know. We're all too old to wrap our minds around it.

Thanks for your post. You make a number of good points about the way that it is marketed now and the blurring of the lines. It is harder to rebel against the music industry I suppose.
I am not sure that there isn't something to rebel against. I am also not sure that there could not be an alternative culture if there wasn't. I guess I just think there are or should be some people who despise glamour, wealth, "partying" at "the club" and people who think "Mariah, 2pac and Beyoncé" are "naturally" a load of crap. I think that kind of music is appalling and find it hard to understand why serious critics or people who like good music would have even two seconds to waste listening to that spray-tan-salon fodder.
I have a real problem with consumerism and ostentatious displays of wealth. I think there should be a culture that rebels against that. I would think in this day and age, good music should be associated with something better than a woman who married Sony records and now dates a fat billionaire.

Dec 25, 2015, 14:14

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index