Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
New Radiohead
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Re: New Radiohead

Reminds me of this classic Spitting Image video




May 12, 2016, 14:19


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: New Radiohead

Hobobachang wrote:
velvetwater wrote:
About the mesmerising DAYDREAMING: how can somebody compare such a beautiful song to Coldplay???


Not heard that one, I was talking about "Burn the Witch" :D

Anyway, what's wrong with Coldplay? ;P

Never really been a fan of Radiohead. To me they are way overrated, there's plenty other stuff out there I'd sooner listen to. I still can't understand how they became universally accepted as the "greatest band of their generation" or whatever. Each to their own I guess, just not my cup of tea!



Ah ah! Fair enough!
I was so taken by this other song that I forgot
that we were talking about the other one :-)

I don't believe that they are overrated at all though.
Obviusly a statement such as "greatest band etc." is always pretentious and disputable. But I do think that they have been consistently good throughout their career. I don't like their first two records but after that they have constantly grown artistically and they never stopped experimenting even after mass success. They are all valid musicians and composers (see Johnny Greenwood soundtrack work) with a distinctive personality and capable of both moving the heart and stimulating the brain of the listener.
Then it is always a matter of taste, but I wouldn't deem it objective to state that they are not an excellent band.

And now, for your enjoyment, here is DAYDREAMING:



May 12, 2016, 15:43


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Re: New Radiohead

velvetwater wrote:
I don't believe that they are overrated at all though.
They are all valid musicians and composers (see Johnny Greenwood soundtrack work) with a distinctive personality and capable of both moving the heart and stimulating the brain of the listener.
Then it is always a matter of taste, but I wouldn't deem it objective to state that they are not an excellent band.


Well loads of people seem to concur on the excellent band part, I suppose they can't all be wrong. But for me subjectively speaking I've never gotten into them. I'd agree they are one of the most musically adventurous groups operating in the mainstream these past few years. Thom Yorke's whiny voice and persona gets on my nerves somewhat. I have to say he sounds a little different in the tune you posted above though. Do you think it's a stretch to suggest there is a Neil Young influence at work there? The emphasis placed on the line about "...the damage done" got me thinking in that direction (as in "The Needle and the...")?

May 12, 2016, 17:09


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Re: New Radiohead

Hobobachang wrote:
Do you think it's a stretch to suggest there is a Neil Young influence at work there?


No.



May 12, 2016, 21:26


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

Re: New Radiohead

Never heard this before:



May 12, 2016, 21:34


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: New Radiohead

velvetwater wrote:

And now, for your enjoyment, here is DAYDREAMING:



I think that's a great video and a very nice song. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm going to revisit for a while and check out the new one for sure. He sometimes gets too sad for me to want to listen to very often.

May 13, 2016, 05:59


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: New Radiohead

Hobobachang wrote:


Well loads of people seem to concur on the excellent band part, I suppose they can't all be wrong. But for me subjectively speaking I've never gotten into them. I'd agree they are one of the most musically adventurous groups operating in the mainstream these past few years. Thom Yorke's whiny voice and persona gets on my nerves somewhat. I have to say he sounds a little different in the tune you posted above though. Do you think it's a stretch to suggest there is a Neil Young influence at work there? The emphasis placed on the line about "...the damage done" got me thinking in that direction (as in "The Needle and the...")?


Neil Young: well spotted!

The DAYDREAMING lyrics could be about enviromental issues (the damage we are causing to our planet like the melting of the glaciers) as much as sentimental ones (Thom Yorke is divorcing his wife of more than 20 years with whom he had 2 children).

May 13, 2016, 10:16


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: New Radiohead

GaryB2 wrote:
Never heard this before:

Nice! I didn't know it either.
Thanks GaryB.

May 13, 2016, 10:18


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: New Radiohead

cyberpainter wrote:
[quote="velvetwater"]
And now, for your enjoyment, here is DAYDREAMING:

I think that's a great video and a very nice song. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm going to revisit for a while and check out the new one for sure. He sometimes gets too sad for me to want to listen to very often.



I am with you there, a lot of music artists are not suitable for every occasion (I also think of Blonde Redhead, for example). I don't listen to Radiohead often for your same reason, but when I do I really get into them and I am moved by their art.

For anyone who wishes to delve deeper and to fully appreciate their musicianship, I suggest this briliant live in studio performance:



May 13, 2016, 10:29


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

peturv
179 posts

Re: New Radiohead

my fav song is Ful Stop - probably the closest Radiohead has gone towards krautrock

another standout is Present Tense

a lot of the string arrangements on the album remind me of Jean-Claude Vannier's string arrangements on Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson

May 13, 2016, 11:53

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index