Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Bang, you're it
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Bang, you're it

In any other country every single line on this list would be front page news for days--in the US it's so commonplace that it takes some shit like what just happened in Orlando (especially if you can tie in the Islam card) to get people's attention.

https://www.massshootingtracker.org/data

Oof.

Jun 13, 2016, 12:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: Bang, you're it

True. I mean news does go out, but the news cycle just goes quickly on to something else, gun violence is just so common here. And a "mass shooting" usually means a certain number of deaths or injured, not sure what the number would be to bring that description into the headline. Who knows.

This one has both sides of the political spectrum talking. One side talking about how it was a hate crime against the LGBT community, the other side saying it was ISIS and all the accusations that go along with that. We even had Trump give a veiled accusation that it was Obama's fault. Of course he also was a birther, and promoted the media wildfire of birthers and nutty accusations that Obama is a Muslim.

One thing is a fact, that it was the biggest mass shooting in our country's history. There have been other mass casualty events, but not mass shootings by a single gunman that I know of. I could be wrong, but that is what they are saying.

Jun 13, 2016, 22:09

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that it is also bringing up the conversation again that we need more gun regulation, background checks, and national registry. But if it didn't happen after Sandy Hook, I am skeptical it will happen now either.

Jun 13, 2016, 22:11

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
And a "mass shooting" usually means a certain number of deaths or injured, not sure what the number would be to bring that description into the headline.

Well, the source I provided counts any shooting with at least four casualties as a mass shooting. And I'd be hard-pressed to find any other "first world" country where a domestic shooting with 4+ casualties wouldn't be a huge story. Nor can it be chalked up to the size of the US population--we're talking about more than one a day over the last 12 months! A country 40 times smaller like the Czech Republic would be in an existential crisis if they were having this happen on a monthly basis.

Religion and guns have always been what scared me most about the US (and I'm from there!), but the optimistic side of me always thought that things would get gradually better on those fronts...

Jun 13, 2016, 23:02

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Yeah. I thought this article was interesting.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-things-americans-should-know-about-mass-shootings/

Jun 13, 2016, 23:50

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

To me it's really shocking that anyone can just walk into a store and purchase an AR-15 and some ammo, no questions asked. I believe all that's required is to fill out an ID form and a background check, which should come back clear assuming no felonies have been committed. This guy was allegedly questioned by the FBI twice over suspected extremist links, and still was able to buy with no issue.

I can understand if a farmer needs a rifle or something, or maybe a citizen would like to carry a handgun but why on earth are semi automatic assault rifles so readily available? What could possibly be a legitimate reason for a member of the public needing one? Outside of perhaps a few minority sporting interests, etc. which should be carefully regulated.

Jun 14, 2016, 15:09

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

I remember after one of the last mass shootings, one that was in a school where kids were killed, a nutjob politician said that the answer was for everyone to carry a gun. The shooter wouldn't have killed so many if folks could properly protect themselves!!

There's no way 50 folks would've died at the weekend if they were all packing, amirite?

I'm joking of course but there is a certain fucked up logic at work here. Gun control is never gonna happen.

#frommycolddeadhand

Jun 15, 2016, 00:37

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Gun control is never gonna happen.

Well, I've often argued that it'll only happen if people of color start shooting white folks with legally purchased firearms. Looks like it's time to put this theory to the test!

Jun 15, 2016, 04:27

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Wonder what excuse the NRA will make for Dallas...?

Jul 08, 2016, 11:14

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I don't know, but this guy makes me sick.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/7/7/1546262/-Ex-Congressman-calls-for-revenge-against-President-Obama-and-Black-Lives-Matter-for-Dallas-shooting

Jul 08, 2016, 15:31