Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
stereolab songs inspirations
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

garx
4 posts

stereolab songs inspirations

these are my own finds of tunes that may be stereolab's inspirations, because they are similar to their certain songs. i'm not sure about almost all of them, but it may be interesting anyway.

"doubt" may be inspired by can - "the empress and the ukraine king"
"les bons-bons des raisons" may be inspired by can - "thief"
"you used to call me sadness" (2nd part) may be inspired by shuggie otis - "xl-30" (occasionally found this tune while browsing whosampled and noticed the similarity)
"soop groove #1" may be inspired by incredible bongo band - "last bongo in belgium" (the long drum break in the latter)
"space moth" (2nd part) may be inspired by no doubt - "spiderwebs" (that's the strange one, but they both have similar mood, winds and also gate effect on guitar at the end of "space moth" and in the middle of "spiderwebs")

btw, i frequently contribute to WhoSampled's sample database and i've submitted many stereolab samples there recently (http://whosampled.com/Stereolab/), but i wouldn't submit these ones because a) i'm not sure about the source or b) this similarity isn't enough to be considered as "interpolation", as WhoSampled calls it.

Sep 27, 2016, 17:53

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
676 posts

Re: stereolab songs inspirations

Good work. I am going to go out on a limb though and say the No Doubt thing is pure coincidence. :)

Sep 27, 2016, 23:50

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Beatles - Piggies

Bop Scotch

Sep 28, 2016, 03:20

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Sorry meant to say Savoy Truffle

Sep 28, 2016, 03:21

maxgadgetuk
4 posts

garx wrote:
these are my own finds of tunes that may be stereolab's inspirations, because they are similar to their certain songs. i'm not sure about almost all of them, but it may be interesting anyway.

"doubt" may be inspired by can - "the empress and the ukraine king"
"les bons-bons des raisons" may be inspired by can - "thief"
"you used to call me sadness" (2nd part) may be inspired by shuggie otis - "xl-30" (occasionally found this tune while browsing whosampled and noticed the similarity)
"soop groove #1" may be inspired by incredible bongo band - "last bongo in belgium" (the long drum break in the latter)
"space moth" (2nd part) may be inspired by no doubt - "spiderwebs" (that's the strange one, but they both have similar mood, winds and also gate effect on guitar at the end of "space moth" and in the middle of "spiderwebs")

btw, i frequently contribute to WhoSampled's sample database and i've submitted many stereolab samples there recently (http://whosampled.com/Stereolab/), but i wouldn't submit these ones because a) i'm not sure about the source or b) this similarity isn't enough to be considered as "interpolation", as WhoSampled calls it.

Dont Know what you shared!

Nov 11, 2016, 11:42

mikka000
1083 posts

The Police - Synchronicity

Household Names

Nov 13, 2016, 06:16

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

mikka000 wrote:
The Police - Synchronicity

We were discussing this track a while back on here :)

http://www.stereolab.co.uk/forum/stereolab/topic/7418/flat/

Not sure if I hear much resemblance in this case, but both great songs!

Nov 13, 2016, 18:22

mikka000
1083 posts

Oooops missed that discussion.

It's not that they're 'similar' in style/instrumentation or whatever but more the vocal line which the similarity if self evident, I think.

Like the vocal line in Analogue Rock taken from a Jean Michel Jarre record - very different tracks, but the melody the same.

Nov 13, 2016, 22:45

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Well done!
Another one I recently spotted myself is the inspiration for GOOD IS ME.
It is a very obscure record but it is available on Spotify: GEORGE RUSSELL - LISTEN TO THE SILENCE. The track is EVENT III and the bass line is exactly the same as the one on the Stereolab track.

Nov 14, 2016, 12:04

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Our Trinitone Blast, a bit?

Nov 15, 2016, 18:03

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index