Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
stereolab songs inspirations
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Re: stereolab songs inspirations

Actually it's more like:

Bit of "Golden Ball" in this one too, I reckon :D

Nov 15, 2016, 18:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts

Yes, to that Modern Lovers suggestion.

Also: listening now to the George Russell track - bonkers!

Nov 15, 2016, 22:00

garx
4 posts

Lush - Nothing Natural (from 3:46) is similar to Black Arts (chorus)
https://youtu.be/3XlP794_aCU

Jan 31, 2017, 00:40

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

garx wrote:
Lush - Nothing Natural (from 3:46) is similar to Black Arts (chorus)
https://youtu.be/3XlP794_aCU

Yas! One of my favourite moments in any Lush song.

It's up there with the middle section of "Starlust" (1:33 onwards....I love the way the bass wanders off in unexpected directions).

Feb 01, 2017, 10:30

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
Our Trinitone Blast, a bit?

Grungy 70's urbanity rules

Feb 02, 2017, 03:04

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

It's not really that similar, but the middle section (2:00 onwards) of this track by 80s French band Super Freego puts me in mind of "Sadistic".

These guys have been described as "Magma meets the B52s". The below track bears this out I'd say.

The whole album "Pourquoi Es-Tu Si Méchant?" (1982) is an interesting listen, weird and bad ass group!

Feb 04, 2017, 08:47

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

This track (released in 1987) has some similarities to the long album version of "Jenny Ondioline", especially on the intro part, and around seven to eight minutes in...

Feb 06, 2017, 11:10

mikka000
1083 posts

great track! thanks for sharing!

Feb 11, 2017, 23:07

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

No worries! I had never heard of Rhys Chatham before, until I read somewhere that this track could have inspired Jenny Ondioline. Naturally, I had to check it out! Maybe just coincidence, but there definitely appear to be some similarities in the structure and sound.

Reminds me a lot of Glenn Branca (who I am a bit more familiar with), and indeed it turns out Chatham was part of that New York scene too.

Seems he got around, having worked with a quite a few of the legendary figures in experimental music:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhys_Chatham

Feb 12, 2017, 16:52

mikka000
1083 posts

Yes he's often mentioned in the Sonic Youth biography that came out ages ago (I think it stops at Experimental Jetset....). I had never really looked into Rhys though as I thought it was just gonna be an awful racket, but this track is definitely the shiz!

Feb 12, 2017, 23:11

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index