Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Vanishing Twin
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

Vanishing Twin

I like this.

http://thequietus.com/articles/21026-listen-new-vanishing-twin-album

Sep 29, 2016, 05:49

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

Re: Vanishing Twin

Sep 29, 2016, 05:49

jeff w
jeff w
684 posts

Yes s'good. Ersatz Broadcast but still good - fills the void a bit. I got the album on vinyl last weekend. Was going to start a thread on the official release date, but cyberpainter has beaten me to it :)

Sep 29, 2016, 14:29

Cosmos Twins
Cosmos Twins
147 posts

What do you think of the record Jeff? I got wind of them from a friend a few months ago, but on the basis of the track they premiered (Conservation of Energy) I had them pegged as less of a Broadcast tribute, more of a Death and Vanilla tribute (and that's not really a compliment). Plus with a malodorous hint of the Cranberries!

But just listened to the stream and maybe, just maybe...

CT

Sep 29, 2016, 14:46

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

They have some known entities in the band.

Sep 30, 2016, 16:29

jeff w
jeff w
684 posts

Cosmos Twins wrote:
I got wind of them from a friend a few months ago, but on the basis of the track they premiered (Conservation of Energy) I had them pegged as less of a Broadcast tribute, more of a Death and Vanilla tribute (and that's not really a compliment). Plus with a malodorous hint of the Cranberries!

CT

Ooh no. Death and Vanilla really are (were?) embarrassing in their attempted fidelity to certain artistes. I much prefer this lot. The more they go off at tangents for extended periods ("Vanishing Twin Syndrome", "Truth is Boring") the more unique they start to sound. That said, I think "The Conservation of Energy" is the best track, so YMMV.

Sep 30, 2016, 20:50

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

jeff w wrote:
Cosmos Twins wrote:
I got wind of them from a friend a few months ago, but on the basis of the track they premiered (Conservation of Energy) I had them pegged as less of a Broadcast tribute, more of a Death and Vanilla tribute (and that's not really a compliment). Plus with a malodorous hint of the Cranberries!

CT

Ooh no. Death and Vanilla really are (were?) embarrassing in their attempted fidelity to certain artistes. I much prefer this lot. The more they go off at tangents for extended periods ("Vanishing Twin Syndrome", "Truth is Boring") the more unique they start to sound. That said, I think "The Conservation of Energy" is the best track, so YMMV.

I thought the first song sounded a bit like Soundcarriers. But they have various influences sprinkled throughout.

Here's the band roster:

"Vanishing Twin is made up of singer Cathy Lucas (Innerspace Orchestra), drummer Valentina Magaletti (Raime, Tomaga, Uuuu, Neon Neon), bassist Susumu Mukai (Zongamin, Floating Points), library music head Phil M.F.U. (Man From Uranus, Broadcast) on strange sounds, and film maker and visual artist Elliott Arndt on flute and percussion." And producer Malcolm Catto (Heliocentrics, DJ Shadow, The Gaslamp Killer.)

More here:
https://www.soundwayrecords.com/Shop/DownloadDetails?rid=SWR_RE_112

Oct 01, 2016, 02:51

jeff w
jeff w
684 posts

Cathy Lucas was also in Fanfarlo, and has made some great music recently under the name Orlando.

Oct 01, 2016, 11:39

Cosmos Twins
Cosmos Twins
147 posts

Oops sorry Jeff I'm not into knocking other people's tastes, especially here! But gonna take punt on this one I think...

CT

Oct 01, 2016, 12:06

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

I'd heard the Telescope track on the radio and made a mental note to listen out for them. At times the Broadcast influence is too clear, but overall very good album - hopefully they'll carry on and start to forge their own identity a bit more.

Oct 01, 2016, 13:01

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index