Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Vanishing Twin
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Re: Vanishing Twin

A very very good 'un! Reminds me of what Simon Reynolds clearly referred to when he called bands like Stereolab, Laika, Moonshake, Pram etc. post-rock. This represents that ideal, which i think was the essence of post-rock before the more conservative bands like Mogwai ended up co-opting the tag. Good blend of spacey pop and psychedelic improv, good variety of instrumentation and really good use of repetition in musical structures.

Oct 03, 2016, 23:01

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

I agree, perhaps they go overboard with the Broadcast-y noodling but there is some really beautiful sound in there.

They also remind me of Midnight Movies a little.

Another good recommendation, thanks y'all

Oct 06, 2016, 02:42

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

It does sound pretty good. I can hear a lot of Broadcast and Stereolab influences but quite good influences to draw from.

Oct 07, 2016, 03:56

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
343 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
jeff w wrote:
Cosmos Twins wrote:
I got wind of them from a friend a few months ago, but on the basis of the track they premiered (Conservation of Energy) I had them pegged as less of a Broadcast tribute, more of a Death and Vanilla tribute (and that's not really a compliment). Plus with a malodorous hint of the Cranberries!

CT

Ooh no. Death and Vanilla really are (were?) embarrassing in their attempted fidelity to certain artistes. I much prefer this lot. The more they go off at tangents for extended periods ("Vanishing Twin Syndrome", "Truth is Boring") the more unique they start to sound. That said, I think "The Conservation of Energy" is the best track, so YMMV.

I thought the first song sounded a bit like Soundcarriers. But they have various influences sprinkled throughout.

Here's the band roster:

"Vanishing Twin is made up of singer Cathy Lucas (Innerspace Orchestra), drummer Valentina Magaletti (Raime, Tomaga, Uuuu, Neon Neon), bassist Susumu Mukai (Zongamin, Floating Points), library music head Phil M.F.U. (Man From Uranus, Broadcast) on strange sounds, and film maker and visual artist Elliott Arndt on flute and percussion." And producer Malcolm Catto (Heliocentrics, DJ Shadow, The Gaslamp Killer.)

More here:
https://www.soundwayrecords.com/Shop/DownloadDetails?rid=SWR_RE_112

Thanks for the post!

I think they sounds better than soundcarriers ( the vocals are bad). Sure the influence are very obvious but the chemistry of this band is right on imo.

Oct 11, 2016, 08:45

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Today they wrote: "Our single Telescope is out today! For its B-side, Tom Furse (The Horrors) remixes Vanishing Twin Syndrome into expansive meditation music."

I kinda dig it.

Mar 11, 2017, 02:06

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Another, maybe more "adventurous" album titled choose your own adventure, from 2004:

Gosh, I loved these guys at the time. Still do! This album puts me in mind of the "cake" music from Brass Eye :D

Mar 11, 2017, 09:13

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

Record Store Day 2017 release:

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-releases/rsd-2017/vanishing-twin/

Mar 22, 2017, 19:34

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Love the look!

Mar 23, 2017, 02:15

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

The new EP is now on Spotify, ironically only hours after I tracked down a vinyl copy:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0Q6APHwuImww92wFF0vlYd

May 05, 2017, 10:02

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index