Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
What.cd
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

What.cd

I know there are at least a couple of folks here on it.

Just a heads up: I had trouble accessing the site earlier this week. The tracker appeared to be down. I logged on this evening and my machine immediately seized up, made an awful noise, and now the hard drive seems to be kaput. This may all be a coincidence - but there'a a possibility that the site's been hacked and is infected with some nastiness. I'd suggest avoiding it for now, just to be safe.

Oct 08, 2016, 03:03

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: What.cd

Dead, gone, ended. It was nice while it lasted.

Nov 18, 2016, 00:33

peturv
179 posts

Kazak wrote:
Dead, gone, ended. It was nice while it lasted.

oh, too bad

I didn't use it much recently, as most things are on Spotify. but I could always trust on getting the more obscure stuff on what.

now I wish I had spent some time to fill the gaps in my collection, oh well

Nov 18, 2016, 16:48

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Sucks, I didn't use it much but I loved having it there as an option. If something new pops up please send me an invite!

BitTorrent CCO Talks About Thom Yorke's New Album
Matt Mason talks about how 'Tomorrow's Modern Boxes' came to be
"Due to some recent events, What.CD is shutting down. We are not likely to return anytime soon in our current form. All site and user data has been destroyed. So long, and thanks for all the fish," the site posted Thursday.
That closing line, a quote from A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, echoed the farewell announcement from What's torrent predecessor OiNK when that site shut down on October 27th, 2007. Following OiNK's takedown, the site's founder and six users were arrested and charged with suspicion of conspiracy to defraud the music industry. Days after OiNK's shutdown, What emerged, operating under a similar foundation.
According to TorrentFreak, France's cybercrime division, in association with French music industry group SACEM, raided What's servers Thursday after a reported two-year investigation. Despite the raid, What's Twitter alerted their users, "Reports of our database being seized are not factual."
French magazine Zataz, who first reported on What's shutdown, added that no arrests had been made and that the founder of What is believed to live in the United Kingdom.
What.CD was home to nearly 1 million unique torrents, the site announced in February after hitting the landmark, as well as many impossible-to-find albums that users had uploaded throughout the years.

Nov 18, 2016, 19:25

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

[FROWN FACE EMOJI]

Nov 19, 2016, 02:25

jeff w
jeff w
676 posts

Good piece here from one of the members:

http://qz.com/840661/what-cd-is-gone-a-eulogy-for-the-greatest-music-collection-in-the-world/

Nov 20, 2016, 14:42

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

http://www.slsknet.org/news/

I always find EVERYTHING there.

Nov 21, 2016, 10:29

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

velvetwater wrote:

http://www.slsknet.org/news/

I always find EVERYTHING there.

Thanks for this! I didn't realize it was still around.

I love how the UI is still nearly identical to the original Napster.

Nov 24, 2016, 05:44

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

xanax.rip is a candidate for what.cd replacement that I've found. Whether it will withstand the coming deluge of other candidates remains to be seen, but it seems pretty okay to me. Nowhere near as comprehensive yet, obviously, but it's building. No need to send an invite, registrations are currently open. passtheheadphones.me is another one I know of, but it is invite only and I haven't managed to score one yet.

Nov 26, 2016, 19:35

thomas2
thomas2
1692 posts

I have been using slsk for 15 years, its longevity never fails to surprise me.

Nov 26, 2016, 22:16

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index