Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia & co at the Lexington (17th Oct)
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts

Laetitia & co at the Lexington (17th Oct)

A very enjoyable gig last night. The headliner was Giorgio Tuma and his band. I believe this was his first ever gig in the UK. Inevitably, it was difficult to reproduce the lushness of his last album in a live setting - the band came over as much like a miserable goth rock act as anything. But there were occasional moments of beauty, and Giorgio is up there in the pantheon of drummer-vocalists at least. Laetitia came up on stage to sing "Maude Hope" with the band to close the set.

Laetitia was the main support act, playing solo except as noted below. I've seen her twice already this year so was expecting a familiar set. It started off that way but, half way through, BAM! three new songs. (N.B. titles were mumbled a bit so I may have mis-heard/spelt.) "The Woman With The Invisible Necklace" was introduced as a political song, and was fast with lots of rapid chord changes. "Lock, Captain" is a warped love song and featured guest Man From Uranus - who's also currently in Vanishing Twin, fact fans - accompanying Laetitia on synthesiser. Finally, "Galactic Amorescence" was a more traditional love song in a similar vein to the slower songs on Something Shines. For meanchico's benefit, I can also confirm that L looked fabulous, with an almost Beatle-ish mop top hairstyle and wearing a shimmery silver top.

Jogging back, first on stage was Deerful aka Emma Winston, who sings and accompanies herself with keys + semi-glitchy beats. She also performed a couple of tunes accompanied only by a Gameboy console, in order to reproduce the sounds on her new "chiptune" EP, 'Home' - which I recommend you listen to (and hopefully buy) via her bandcamp page: https://deerful.bandcamp.com

Finally, Marie from Monade's new band, Iko Chérie, drew the biggest and most enthusiastic crowd of the night (i.e. about half the audience was composed of their friends, as they readily admitted). But they fully deserved the reaction they got - the trio has come on leaps and bounds since I last saw them six months ago.

Oct 18, 2016, 13:50

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Re: Laetitia & co at the Lexington (17th Oct)

Very enjoyable read jeff w, thank you

There were always good gig review writeups here.

Oct 19, 2016, 00:49

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

That's great, and I'll be sure to listen to the link you shared.

Oct 19, 2016, 02:48

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

jeff w wrote:
I can also confirm that L looked fabulous, with an almost Beatle-ish mop top hairstyle and wearing a shimmery silver top.

A photo of her looking great at the recent Union Chapel gig (http://www.stereolab.co.uk/forum/stereolab/topic/7655/threaded/81469) - hope this link works to FB:

https://www.facebook.com/daylightmusiclondon/photos/a.1346411812065590.1073741851.367055630001218/1372406362799468/?type=3&theater

and three more if you click on the right arrow.

More than one person was filming that gig on their devices, but I've not found anything posted on YouTube...yet. It would be great if any sound recordings emerge of the three numbers she and Ed Dowie did.

Oct 19, 2016, 11:29

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Well, here is the Aksak Maboul and Veronique Vincent cover (and if you look really carefully at the crowd shots, I'm the one slouching at the left towards the back):

Oct 20, 2016, 16:58

jeff w
jeff w
678 posts

Good to see you removed the bowler hat in church...

Oct 20, 2016, 19:30

atwexchange
4 posts

Fantastic

Nov 12, 2016, 08:19

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

I was there also and I thoroughly enjoyed the night.

Iko Cherie, not without imperfections in their performance, were great: very warm and engaging.
Marie is incredibly sweet.

Laetitia was the usual: much more accomplished in her vocals compared to her Stereolab days and forgetful of the odd guitar chord but always charming in her reactions to that!

The star of the show, and not just because he was the headliner, was Giorgio Tuma.
With only a four member band (a guitarist, a keyboardist, a second keyboardist/female vocalist plus himself on drums and vocals) it was obviously impossible to recreate the intricacies of the layered arrangements of his last two beautiful albums.
I spoke to Giorgio before and after the gig and he said that this was the only way to bring the record on tour.
So the band didn’t even try to reproduce the songs as they were; instead they completely re-imagined them in a “post-rock” vein.
And it worked! It was really interesting to hear this completely different sound approach and the performance was both very intense and incredibly dynamic.

The venue delivered excellent acoustics, it was small and not even fully packed, with no annoying bar traffic and chatter.
As far as I am concerned that is the ideal way of seeing live music!

Nov 14, 2016, 11:38