Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Sean O'Hagan & Friends: We Start Counting
21 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

Re: Sean O'Hagan & Friends: We Start Counting

FernJones wrote:
jeff w wrote:
So, this was pretty good.

Full line up, in addition to Sean and Tim was:

John Telfer - Flute and Tenor sax
Serafina Steer - Harp
Marcus Holdaway - organ and electric piano
Dominic Murcott - marimba, vibes, electronics
Jon Fell - bass
Billy Brown - drums
Jane Weaver - voice on "I Start Counting"

As advertised, all newly-composed music apart from the cover of the theme song to "I Start Counting" at the very end, but with an obvious Kirchinesque element (e.g. the use of repeated melodies on a single chord). Performed as a continuous suite of about six sections, mainly scored but with some improvised bits, in particular the transitions between sections. At a talk this morning Sean said he wasn't 100% happy with how it had turned out ("the rehearsals were better"), but at the same time he said there were moments which were supposed to be a bit fragile and stuttering, so allowing for that the performance sounded fine to me.

Tim played a supporting role on rhythm guitar but an important one - I thought he pretty much held the piece together, particularly in the transitions.

There are no plans at present to repeat the performance but Sean said he'd love to have another go at it if another festival was prepared to put it on.

The support set by Revenu 2.2.1 was also good, mixing samples of Kirchin's recordings with jazz and electronica, and the evening was rounded off perfectly with a screening of the cult 1971 horror film The Abominable Dr Phibes (soundtrack by Kirchin), complete with live music interludes played on the massive Hull City Hall pipe organ.

I've been there in Hull and was really amazed. I'm a fan of High Llamas and Sean! That night was a true gift!

You can contact me here

That's a link for your limp dick m8.

Jun 17, 2017, 22:39

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: