Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
top 10s for 2016
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

top 10s for 2016

This is the time of year (always a tad premature) when online and print music magazines post their Best Ofs for the year. I saw one that had COAM in its Top 10. I think I've only bought about 5 actual new CDs this year (done a lot of catching up - I got my first ever Leonard Cohen album just a few days before he died) - I'll have a check through and post what I've liked. Let us know what you've all been grooving on from this year - I always find these lsts interesting.

Nov 30, 2016, 12:11

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

Re: top 10s for 2016

very exciting about the Leonard Cohen! I spent the better part of 2004 exploring his catalog. I look back on it fondly.

Dec 01, 2016, 02:00

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Lone - Levitate
Another solid album from Lone.

2814 - Rain Temple
Superb, atmospheric, dreamy.

Cavern Of Anti-Matter - Void Beats/Invocation Trex
Goes without saying really.

UFOCUS - Guidance For The Puzzled
I can always count on Legowelt for something good, year in, year out :D

Zandvoort & Uilenbal - Geruis Uit Somberdorp
More interesting stuff from Legowelt.

Juan Atkins and Moritz von Oswald present Borderland - Transport
Can't go wrong with these two really.

Deepchord – Atmospherica Vol 2
Atmospheric indeed :)

Lush - Blind Spot EP
Couple of decent tracks that recall their early days.

Gareth Dickson - Orwell Court
Great stuff. Vashti Bunyan is on one of the tracks too, I know many of you like her.

Red Velvet - The Velvet
At least 3 songs I like, much better hit rate than the more recent comeback "Russian Roulette" (where SM fucked up their concept!)

PUTS - The Gettin' Off Stage, Step 2
Average PUTS is better than no PUTS.

I'll need to have a listen to the new ATCQ album, only heard a couple tracks that sound pretty decent.

David Bowie - Blackstar
His final album was a good one, I especially liked the last song :'(

Maybe I forgot some, but I didn't really get much new music this year. Enjoying older stuff too much, as per usual.

Dec 01, 2016, 07:44

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

I just noticed these 2 tracks have exactly same BPM, and seem pretty much designed to be mixed together (try playing both vids simultaneously and see). Crafty way to make people buy 2 copies of the same 12" :P

Deepchord – Atmospherica Vol 2
Atmospheric indeed :)

Dec 01, 2016, 12:09

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Well, here's my Top 5 - I might add more as I remember them...

North Sea Radio Orchestra - Dronne. Latest and probably the best album from one of my favourite acts. Poetic pastoral music somewhere between classical, folk and pop.

The Breath - Carry Your Kin. Excellent debut from band formed of Cinematic Orchestra members and Irish singer Ríoghnach Connolly (what a voice!). Epic-sounding pop.

Darren Hayman - Thankful Villages vol 1. Wonderful ongoing project seeking out obscure English villages where all of the men returned alive from the First World War., illustrated with lovely, quirky, folky tunes.

Anna Meredith - Varmints. New and very original mix of genres - electronic/modernist classical with poppy elements.

Field Music - Commontime. Slightly patchy, but with some good catchy tunes in there - especially this:

Dec 01, 2016, 12:46

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

meanchico wrote:
very exciting about the Leonard Cohen! I spent the better part of 2004 exploring his catalog. I look back on it fondly.

Yes, I've sort of known and liked bits of his music for decades, but never quite got around to actually owning any of it. I've started at the beginning (Songs Of Leonard Cohen) so now I'll presumably gradual work my way through his back catalogue...

Dec 01, 2016, 13:32

postminimal
postminimal
283 posts

My top 5 (no particular order)

A Moon Shaped Pool: RADIOHEAD
These Systems Are Failing: MOBY
Atomic: MOGWAI
The Catastrophist TORTOISE
Monument Builders: LOSCIL

Dec 01, 2016, 22:46

GaryB2
GaryB2
2329 posts

I buy my Deepchord on iTunes these days. So much cheaper than getting the records. Different priorities these days!

Dec 02, 2016, 18:13

thomas2
thomas2
1700 posts

Lisa Hannigan - At Swim

there are others, I shall have a think

Dec 03, 2016, 13:41

k.
k.
407 posts

Always like reading your take on tunes! I too loved the new Lone, but am still trying to cope with his buddy Machinedrum's new one.

No particular order:

Bibio - A Mineral Love
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition (!!!!)
Dungen - Häxan
Horse Lords - Interventions
Jeff Mills - Free Fall Galaxy
K E N N Y LOGIN - Food Court Afterhours
Kaytranada - 99.9%
Lone - Levitate
Lush - Blind Spot
Mark Pritchard - Under the Sun (utterly gorgeous, probs my fav of the year)
Mndsgn - Body Wash (!!!!)
Modular - Fuga al paraíso (so fun)
Morgan Delt - Phase Zero (so gorgeous at times)
She-Devils EP
Stargazer Lilies - Door to the Sun (love this group)
Steve Hauschildt - Strands
Tobacco - Sweatbox Dynasty (really well done)

And the new albums by 3 artists that met with tragedy this year are all solid: Bowie, ATCQ & Leonard Cohen.

Dec 04, 2016, 00:24

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index