Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
where did all the good bands go?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

bella_lepidoptera
1 posts

where did all the good bands go?

can anybody think of ONE band making music today that sounds like stereolab? there are pavement imitators aplenty, mbv copycats prowling practically every street corner, but the lovely loungey groop has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth, influence-wise...

the only band i can think of that even comes close to approximating their sound is black moth super rainbow... but it's too vocoded and academic, and i don't think they've put out an album in five years anyway.

i'm **this** close to dusting off the ol' axe and embarrassing myself in public.

anyone? anything?

Feb 13, 2017, 00:39

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Re: where did all the good bands go?

Modular?

Feb 13, 2017, 01:33

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

There aren't any that I can think of. A few maybe believe they are following in their footsteps, but none possess a tenth of the substance the groop had.

Stereolab for me had tremendous integrity and relentless creativity, which seems to be lacking these days. Maybe it's just the times we are living in, when everything is available at the click of a mouse. New bands have none of the same mystery or intrigue anymore (for me anyway). And none of the tunes!

Stereolab churned out album after album of classic material, seemingly effortlessly. Anyone can record and release music these days, but it seems the vast majority needed have bothered :D

Just my opinion, but I hear very little (in "band" music anyway) which grabs my attention from the younger generation. I'd love to be proven wrong. Maybe it's an oversaturation, but still, you would think something decent would bubble to the surface occasionally. Usually when I check out some recommended new band, I'm left thinking "Really? This is where it's at nowdays?".

I guess the inevitable has happened... I've become older and alienated from youth culture. And happy to be so :-P Too much great music from the past to explore anyway, it would take several lifetimes!

Feb 13, 2017, 05:57

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

bella_lepidoptera wrote:
can anybody think of ONE band making music today that sounds like stereolab? there are pavement imitators aplenty, mbv copycats prowling practically every street corner, but the lovely loungey groop has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth, influence-wise...

the only band i can think of that even comes close to approximating their sound is black moth super rainbow... but it's too vocoded and academic, and i don't think they've put out an album in five years anyway.

i'm **this** close to dusting off the ol' axe and embarrassing myself in public.

anyone? anything?

I would have less respect for a band if they just tried to imitate Stereolab. The ol' Le Futur Pompiste vs. Midnight Movies arguments back in the day come to mind hehe. (And btw I think that argument was won by LFP, since they persisted with a sound that was if a bit derivative, also their own, whereas MM just sort of had one album of interest.

Stereolab had so many influences that helped define who they were, I love when other bands use some of those same influences in their own music. Many were influenced by Stereolab and made discoveries through them. There are so many current bands that would fit that description I don't know if I have the energy to list them all. Maybe at some point.

Feb 13, 2017, 08:08

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

The new Aquaserge album definitely shares common ground (and one band member!) with the Lab.

Feb 13, 2017, 11:00

peturv
180 posts

I've never heard any band trying to sound like the groop that I like. stereolab had such an eclectic source of influences so somebody trying to emulate their sound would always sound fake and derivative

I would be more interested in hearing music from bands that share similar philosophy and attitude towards music and use that to create their own unique sound

Feb 13, 2017, 11:40

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

bella_lepidoptera wrote:

anyone? anything?

I get the same feeling and I think maybe part of it is I am getting old. I thought the 90's was an oblivion of great alternative and indie rock experimentation. It seems like a lot of the recent alternative bands I have heard are a hybrid of the Flaming Lips or some other type of clever band like that. I have been listening to music since the late 70's and the only period I can think of that was this unoriginal is the late 80's. I really like some of the pop music that is out there and the production, but it's not very original and the production isn't groundbreaking like some of the stuff that we got from the 70's, 80's or 90's. Like I said maybe I am just getting old..

Feb 14, 2017, 02:46

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

matthew6 wrote:
Modular?

I like their stuff but it sounds very Lab influenced.

Feb 14, 2017, 02:50

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
bella_lepidoptera wrote:

anyone? anything?

I would have less respect for a band if they just tried to imitate Stereolab. The ol' Le Futur Pompiste vs. Midnight Movies arguments back in the day come to mind hehe. (And btw I think that argument was won by LFP, since they persisted with a sound that was if a bit derivative, also their own, whereas MM just sort of had one album of interest.

Stereolab had so many influences that helped define who they were, I love when other bands use some of those same influences in their own music. Many were influenced by Stereolab and made discoveries through them. There are so many current bands that would fit that description I don't know if I have the energy to list them all. Maybe at some point.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with Latetia. I know Bradford(of Deerhunter). He invited me backstage after the last Lab show in Atlanta. I remember being real nervous talking to Latetia and mentioned I play guitar. She asked me what my songs sounded like and being a fanboy I remember saying "I really try to emulate what you and Tim do." So she says; "No you need to try to find your own sound." Even with her solo stuff she has her own sound different from Stereolab. I guess you can have influences but I get her point you have to have your own original sound. I find it easy to be original but to sound as cool as Stereolab - now that's a completely different story.

Feb 14, 2017, 03:03

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Soundcarriers are good - some similarities with Stereolab, but definitely ploughing their own groove:

https://youtu.be/z9Eyxa5e72E?list=PLRQKT-Cu2_2Qa1qxR7TjHzCOYQUwdkHy2

Feb 14, 2017, 10:35

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index