Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Hey Gary
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

Re: Hey Gary

You can find pockets of wilderness all over. The lakes/peaks in the north of England are very popular as are parts of Wales (Brecon Beacons/Snowdonia).

The highlands of Scotland are vast however with hundreds of munros (small mountains) to hike up. And it's all there within a 2 or 3 hour drive from the main cities.

I'd recommend a weekend in Knoydart for everyone, with the main attraction being Britain's most remote mainland pub. You can only get there by boat (from Mallaig) or by hiking in from Glen Dessary (20 miles). We hiked in and it was brutal. We got the ferry out, haha.

Mallaig is also close to the Harry Potter Glenfinnan Viaduct, which is pretty cool. You get the steam train from Fort William.

http://www.theoldforge.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenfinnan_Viaduct

Feb 15, 2017, 17:58

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
I may actually be coming to Scotland in June. With my elderly parents. Still in beginning stages of figuring it out. I'm pretty excited, and admit I know very little about Scotland as of yet.

That is exciting!

Are visiting family/relatives over here? Or just heading over for a holiday/vacation?

I'm probably the worst person to give advice on what to see whilst over here. I have friends who emigrated here about 10 years ago and they've seen way more of Scotland than I have!

If you do make it over I'll be sure to make an effort to meet up, if you have any spare time.

Wow, thank you one and all for your comments! I will look into everything you wrote. My parents have been there before, and I was there once as a teenager. We don't have relatives there.

My parents are elderly and my dad is getting dementia, but still has some get up and go left in him. But he really can't be driving anymore on these sorts of trips. They usually use an HF Holiday tour kind of trip these days. But thought it would be a nice change if I drove them around for a couple weeks.

On the left side of the road, which is a bit intimidating! I would have limitations in doing things on my own because of my driving duties for them, but might be able to meet at a pub in the evening if they were safely tucked in. That would be so great! Or just to say hi during the day. I'll contact you (via email? facebook?) to see around where you are and especially after I know our general plan, which is more my mom's domain.

Feb 15, 2017, 21:38

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

gblack586 at btinternet dot com

Feb 16, 2017, 19:51

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
gblack586 at btinternet dot com

Silly fellow, she'll never be able to simply cut and paste that! Here, let me help: gary.bemail@unnecessaryjoke.gov

Feb 18, 2017, 23:38

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Only a couple more days then a looong red eye flight to London then Glasgow! I'm getting very excited. We will be going to the west, Isle of Skye for sure, and meandering around the highlands. I would love to go to Fingal's Cave, I'm very drawn to rugged rock formations. I doubt if we'll make it there, what with the weather and a little hiking involved, but I'd love to take photos there, bringing my good camera and lenses. In any case there will be plenty of spectacular cliffs and rocks to see. Will end up in Edinburgh at the end of the trip and hope to meet up with Gary, I'm planning to try out a few Scottish ales while I'm there when I can!

Jun 14, 2017, 22:57

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

And btw Gary will be my 12th or so forum member I have met in person!! You are all lovely people. :D I'm fortunate to live in a place that people like to travel to, so have met many that have come through the area.

Jun 14, 2017, 23:01

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Fingal's Cave

https://static.panoramio.com.storage.googleapis.com/photos/large/56225093.jpg

http://cms.prvi.tv/Media/prvi.tv/2016/12/11/fingal2.jpg

Jun 14, 2017, 23:09

jeff w
jeff w
684 posts

yay you made it

also: awesome second photo

Jun 16, 2017, 09:13

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Those are photos from google maps, I was just showing what I would love to go to... and take photos!

Jun 16, 2017, 19:29

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
And btw Gary will be my 12th or so forum member I have met in person!! You are all lovely people. :D I'm fortunate to live in a place that people like to travel to, so have met many that have come through the area.

Gary is the only forum member I've met in person :D

(Once, for a brief moment at the end of a groop gig on their final tour....I had to run and catch the bus).

Nice bloke!

Jun 17, 2017, 09:18

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index