Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Belle and Sebastien
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

Belle and Sebastien

I suppose they've been discussed before, but what are all your thoughts on this quirky baroque pop outfit? I'm smitten, they make feel all warm and fuzzy inside. They're music is a bit timeless.

https://youtu.be/hRdWkZNbfCM

Mar 21, 2017, 23:49

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
342 posts

Re: Belle and Sebastien

i used to like them quite a bit but eventually got really sick of their songs. never recovered from it.

to me the vocal is super annoying.

Mar 22, 2017, 00:05

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I binge and purge. I'm usually in the "off" orientation, but if I happened to get triggered, I can't get enough. I thought "Write About Love" was great, but their last one was awful.

Mar 22, 2017, 00:24

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

I still dig their first three albums & all the EPs up through This Is Just a Modern Rock Song. They lost me after that, though - it felt like they quickly transitioned from an unassuming, curiously relatable band into some kind of calculated twee-pop machine.

Mar 22, 2017, 05:16

mikka000
1083 posts

same here, B+S are best in small doses, or, y'know, not at all. lol haven't followed them after 'boy with the arab strap'. I felt that was 'enough'.

Mar 22, 2017, 10:47

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

Coming from Glasgow, they were pretty ubiquitous through the late 90s / early 2000s. "Tigermilk" was a local word of mouth success, and partially inspired many people (myself included) to spend a couple of years at Stow College doing an audio engineering course (the album having been released on the college's Electric Honey label).

I saw them live a few times during this period, one gig at Kelvingrove Park stands out in particular (1997....gosh, was it really 20 years ago?!). You would often see the band members out and about at various indie nights around the city, for example National Pop League (the inspiration behind the Camera Obscura song "Knee Deep at the NPL").

I really liked their first three albums, some great songwriting on there. Somewhat timeless quality, as you say. However I had lost interest by the time of "Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant" (despite the fetching sleeve featuring the twins from Icelandic group Múm). I guess their twee shtick became a bit tiresome to me. I don't even listen to their early stuff anymore, for some reason it just leaves me cold.

Mar 22, 2017, 13:06

peturv
185 posts

yeah great in small dozes. first heard them when the Dog on Wheels EP came out and the first few albums and EP's are all great

of later material I think The Life Pursuit is probably the best, but I tend to listen to the old stuff when I'm in a B&S mood

saw them twice live, in 2006 which was a great show and then in 2015 which was utterly boring (they mostly played the newest album which only has 1 or 2 decent songs)

Mar 22, 2017, 15:23

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I've followed them since I first got a copy of Boy With The Arab Strap. Like others, I started to lose interest after Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant. The formula didn't change and I don't think that served them well. Each album after always had at least 2-3 solid songs, though. Something was sort of lost once Isobel Campbell left the group (I enjoy some of her solo efforts).

They are pretty great live. I've seen them twice and both experiences were a lot of fun.

I still go back to the early albums/EP's now and then. They've held up pretty well for me, personally. Gives me the cozy feel you speak of.

Dog on Wheels is probably my favorite song of theirs.

Mar 22, 2017, 15:24

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

peturv wrote:

of later material I think The Life Pursuit is probably the best

Absolutely...it might even be *gulp* their best album of all, definitely their most varied!

Mar 23, 2017, 02:23

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

Just as an aside I heard Stuart Murdoch on the radio on Sunday and I just love his accent. I would love it!

Mine is rubbish in comparison :(

Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying is my favourite B&S song.

Mar 23, 2017, 17:38

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index