Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Belle and Sebastien
14 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

Re: Belle and Sebastien

Coming from Glasgow, they were pretty ubiquitous through the late 90s / early 2000s. "Tigermilk" was a local word of mouth success, and partially inspired many people (myself included) to spend a couple of years at Stow College doing an audio engineering course (the album having been released on the college's Electric Honey label).

I saw them live a few times during this period, one gig at Kelvingrove Park stands out in particular (1997....gosh, was it really 20 years ago?!). You would often see the band members out and about at various indie nights around the city, for example National Pop League (the inspiration behind the Camera Obscura song "Knee Deep at the NPL").

I really liked their first three albums, some great songwriting on there. Somewhat timeless quality, as you say. However I had lost interest by the time of "Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant" (despite the fetching sleeve featuring the twins from Icelandic group Múm). I guess their twee shtick became a bit tiresome to me. I don't even listen to their early stuff anymore, for some reason it just leaves me cold.

Mar 22, 2017, 13:06