Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Batchelor vs Bachelor
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

chemistry set
chemistry set
17 posts

Batchelor vs Bachelor

I'll be the first to admit that this is a stupid question, but I'm curious if anyone knows or would care to speculate as to why two different spellings? The album is called 'The Groop Played Space Age Batchelor Pad Music', but the mellow and foamy versions of the track are called 'Space Age Bachelor Pad Music'. What happened to the 't'?

Apr 25, 2017, 16:48

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
684 posts

Re: Batchelor vs Bachelor

Ha! I'd never even noticed that. A quick google reveals most websites just "correct" the album title to Bachelor sans 't'. With the 't' is a UK alternate spelling of the word, so my guess is it was just a printing mistake by a British sleeve designer? (SABPM existed long before the groop appropriated it.)

Martin's long-awaited memoirs will probably devote a whole chapter to pressing and printing woes :)

Apr 25, 2017, 21:33

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

I never noticed the spelling on the cover. I guess I'm not very observant!

I want the story of how Martin had made Stereolab laundry bags. haha

Apr 26, 2017, 06:34

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Well spotted!

Apr 26, 2017, 10:51

froggy
2 posts

Hi, I can shed maybe just a little bit of light on this.

Some time around 2000 or 2001 I was talking to Simon after a show and the 'Batchelor' thing came up. As he told it, the songs were named but there was no decision on the title of the release. At some point Tim, was asked to name the album and for whatever reason he mixed up the spelling -- per Simon's telling, it was due to Batchelor's Soup -- and the release went forward without any review until it was too late.

I have no idea if all that is true or not, but it is more or less what Simon conveyed. Although memories do fade a bit over the course of 1.5 decades.

Apr 26, 2017, 18:45

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

froggy wrote:

Some time around 2000 or 2001 I was talking to Simon after a show and the 'Batchelor' thing came up. As he told it, the songs were named but there was no decision on the title of the release. At some point Tim, was asked to name the album and for whatever reason he mixed up the spelling -- per Simon's telling, it was due to Batchelor's Soup -- and the release went forward without any review until it was too late.

I have no idea if all that is true or not, but it is more or less what Simon conveyed. Although memories do fade a bit over the course of 1.5 decades.

Lol at Batchelor's Soup :D

Welcome to the forum. Cheers for the insight!

Apr 26, 2017, 22:19

chemistry set
chemistry set
17 posts

froggy wrote:

Interesting, thanks for sharing that.

I guess I also never realized that 'batchelor' was an acceptable alternative spelling in the UK.

Apr 27, 2017, 02:52

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

Froggy is all over that one. Nice work!

Apr 27, 2017, 05:09

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

I'm sure this lot were a huge influence on early Stereolab - seems obvious.

Apr 28, 2017, 15:01

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

Yeah, especially that drone-y section where the farfisa comes in...

Apr 28, 2017, 16:02

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index