Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
People get music for free - detrimental to artists?
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

People get music for free - detrimental to artists?

Laetitia has recently expressed concern that because people now get to d/l music pretty much for nothing, this means that records won't be sold as much and it may turn out that musicians may not be able to make a living with music in the future. What would you speculate? Is this indeed the shape of things to come or is it just a tough transitional time and artists might earn from music in some other ways? Just how important is it to sell records in order to earn from music? What do you think?

Oct 08, 2008, 07:14

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

JS
JS
489 posts

Re: People get music for free - detrimental to artists?

If you like the stuff you downloaded for free, then buy it to support the artists who make your life a little better, unless the said artists are already rich and popular.

Artists who are already rich should give their stuff to those who enjoy it. That's the ultimate purpose of art. George Michael and Radiohead already did this, so why can't the other do the same?

For example, I never felt ashamed to "steal" Pink Floyd stuff. Nick Mason collects sport cars and David Gilmour collects airplanes... they don't need no more money! However, I don't hesitate to pay for stuff by less popular bands that I like: Stereolab, Magma (more than 300 bucks spent on their stuff in the last few months), BoC, etc..

Oct 08, 2008, 11:22

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

I built up my music collection mostly during high school and college, so by the time internet file sharing and all that stuff really got into full swing, I already had a pretty sizable collection. Well, whether it's because of that or because of file sharing, I think it's a little of both, but I don't buy half as much music as I used to. I used to buy at least two albums a week. Now, I buy about one every couple of months.

I think a lot of bands are going to have to go back to being live bands or house bands if they're going to make a living from their music.

Oct 08, 2008, 13:29

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Another aspect of this is that because you can pretty much listen to anything online before you buy it, gone are the days where I'd just wander into a store and buy something because I liked the cover art and song titles, without knowing what it sounded like.

Oct 08, 2008, 13:31

cybele
cybele
736 posts

It might help to sell CDs for less than $20. Why so expensive?

Cybele

Oct 08, 2008, 15:02

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Morrissey Greatest Hits double-disc version is ?18.99 in the UK ($35 approx) - what a joke!! I didnt buy it obviously.

Oct 08, 2008, 19:42

Thessaly
57 posts

Without free (illegal) downloads I never would have heard Stereolab for the first time back in 2002, before Pandora & other legal, good internet radio came along. I subsequently bought most of their CDs (though the band didn't see significant royalties from my purchases), and spread the word. But I do know there are plenty of complete freeloaders out there that pride themselves in not spending a dime on music.

Oct 08, 2008, 19:58

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

I dont think anybody sets out making music as a serious career path. Nobody can really presume that their band is going to make it. I think if you are in a fairly successful group, one that allows you to earn your money by travelling around the world (albeit in buses)playing music that should be enough. How good would it be to come back off tour with a few quid in the bank and chill out, sleep late, spend time with the family and write your next bunch of songs? That, my friends, is the life of riley.

The most anti-d/l voices in recent times have been billion dollar record companies and million selling groups - well boo-hoo! These people are just greedy, right?

I feel sorry for Laetitia that she feels she doesnt earn enough, I really do, but I know a few million people that would swap their last 20 years for hers.

Oct 08, 2008, 19:58

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

GaryB wrote:
Morrissey Greatest Hits double-disc version is ?18.99 in the UK ($35 approx) - what a joke!! I didnt buy it obviously.

you are paying to own a picture of moz' arse. and its apparently an expensive arse.

Oct 08, 2008, 21:20

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I still buy random stuff strictly based on cover art. It's how I stumbled upon that brilliant Sarolta Zalatnay album earlier this year.

Every time I get paid I head to my favorite record store to buy 2-3 CD's. I usually order stuff off amazon or insound as well. I like having the art work, the hard copy of the album itself, reading about who worked on it, lyrics, etc. I like seeing mass amounts of music organized. It makes me happy.

Downloading (legal or illegal) always feels so empty to me. I like the old school pursuit.

Oct 08, 2008, 21:26

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index