Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
People get music for free - detrimental to artists?
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

Re: Thats a silly question

I don't necessarily disagree, but it begs the question of how you might regard certain other scenarios. For instance, how do you feel someone about loaning their purchased CDs to friends? Theft? How about resale of used CDs? Shouldn't that be the most egregious form of theft? Profit is actually made! It goes on and on... Radio? Etc.

Oct 10, 2008, 21:36

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Kazak wrote:
I don't necessarily disagree, but it begs the question of how you might regard certain other scenarios. For instance, how do you feel someone about loaning their purchased CDs to friends? Theft? How about resale of used CDs? Shouldn't that be the most egregious form of theft? Profit is actually made! It goes on and on... Radio? Etc.

Can't speak for Cheeso, but puritanism tends to cancel out way too many options, now that you think about it. Never be puritanical: use whatever options are available. I definitely disagree that profit might be made with resale of records. Records don't usually appreciate in value over time, unless you are speaking of rare vinyls that can earn you a fortune on ebay. And also, radio broadcasting can create some revenue: an artist could be paid royalties for his music played on the air. Loaning the records can be a kind of a gift economy like the abovementioned filesharing, provided that two friends loan records between each other. Cancel all these options out and you'll be bereft of music altogether, should you no longer be able to afford buying albums.

Oct 10, 2008, 21:54

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Kazak wrote:

Stricly speaking, from a legal sense, loaning cd's to friends is ok, because, unless they've made a copy of it, they've not violated any laws. Reselling used cds, on the other hand, violates laws, and record companies and artists have tried to stop it in the past.

Radio pays royalties to artists. And they have one or more licenses to play that music. That's part of what all that ASCAP/BMI shit is.

Every record/cd/cassette/8-track I've ever bought had written on it somewhere, "Unauthorized reproduction is a violation of applicable laws." As I recall, the license allows you to copy the music for yourself. Anything other than that, I guess, ain't kosher.

Of course, I'm not talking about feelings, just the facts, ma'am.

Oct 10, 2008, 22:16

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

Record companies haven't been successful as far as I know in stopping used cd sales, because I don't think they're actually against any laws. They just would like to stop it. Am I wrong there? They did stop the whole "rent a record" concept though. Back in the day they were against blank cassette tape sales, and they were probably against blank cd sales as well.

Oct 11, 2008, 03:30

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

In canada there is an extra tax on all blank media to help support the arts.

we are taxed out the wazoo. But we dont have to pay for healthcare so i guess thats not so bad.

Oct 11, 2008, 12:44

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Yeah, free healthcare is a human right! Pity its a tad slow, like (hernia still-a-bulging)

Oct 11, 2008, 13:25

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

hiatal or groinal?

very uncomfortable. :( poor boy.

Oct 11, 2008, 13:28

GaryB
GaryB
1554 posts

Its coming down my groin area. That 'canal' where your testicles descend from, in the womb.

Oct 11, 2008, 15:54

mikka000
1084 posts

Re: People get music for free - detrimental to artists?

Thanks for clearing that up. It just doesn't add up that they would come all this way to Texas and not play Houston & Dallas. Where is the loyalty to their fans? IF they play Houston on their next tour, it will be close to a decade between visits : (
[/quote]

i live in australia where they haven't been since sound dust and they probably will never tour here again given their economic situation so just be grateful they are actually visiting your state let alone your country. buy a plane ticket and fly over.

Oct 11, 2008, 16:22

waxenpith
waxenpith
1529 posts

GaryB wrote:
Its coming down my groin area. That 'canal' where your testicles descend from, in the womb.

Yeah i am familiar, thats too bad. It'll get sorted. dont lift anything heavy.

Oct 12, 2008, 00:20

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index