Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
New Slowdive
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2140 posts

New Slowdive

Woah, 22 years on from "Pygmalion", Slowdive have a new album out. The preview tracks sound nice, looking forward to hearing the whole thing!

https://slowdive.bandcamp.com/

May 06, 2017, 06:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

peturv
187 posts

Re: New Slowdive

it's good!

May 06, 2017, 16:08

chemistry set
chemistry set
19 posts

Yes, yes, yes! It's very good in my opinion. Much better than material released by similar bands that have reunited. Though nothing will ever top 'Golden Hair'.

May 08, 2017, 01:39

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2140 posts

After a couple of listens, I like it a lot!
I reckon it really follows on nicely from their previous albums. Not as if nothing had changed over the past two decades, but with a certain maturity that came from all these years.

"Sugar for the Pill" is beautiful, definitely the stand out track for me so far. The production is perfect, somehow channels the same kind of 80s feel I always got from tracks like "Melon Yellow". But more poppy, as if they had been listening to China Crisis or something! :D

May 08, 2017, 22:28

Left-Boob-Oscillator
Left-Boob-Oscillator
17 posts

Does it sound like Pygmalion or have they returned to their more shoegaze sound?

May 08, 2017, 22:42

chemistry set
chemistry set
19 posts

It's definitely more shoegaze-y and less abstract than Pygmalion, which makes sense because I'm pretty sure Pygmalion was just Neil Halstead and Rachel Goswell whereas now the original band is back together. The sticker on the cover said something like they've managed to retain the essence of the Slowdive sound without recycling anything. I think the description is pretty apt. It's markedly Slowdive, but it's also something new.

For me, 'Sugar for the Pill' is a good representation of the album overall while 'Star Roving' is possibly the weakest track on the record. The whole album is available on Spotify.

May 09, 2017, 15:34

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2140 posts

Yup, pretty much in agreement with that assessment.

"Slowdive" (2017 LP, as opposed to their self titled debut EP from 27 years back!) is nowhere near as minimal or ambient leaning as "Pygmalion", but at the same time less shoegaze than their earlier works. It falls somewhere in between, and is perhaps more commercial sounding overall. But the great songwriting is still fully intact.

For me it's very refreshing to hear new material from a reformed band which sounds as fresh as last time we heard from them (more than 20 years ago!).

I hope one day we will see the groop reunite to similar effect ;)

Re: "Golden Hair"....I'm sure you're aware it's a cover....seems odd to me to rate it as their greatest moment? But definitely one of the best covers ever, all the same!

Incidentally, does your handle "Chemistry Set" relate to the band of the same name in any way? I used to really dig their song "The Candle Burns" https://youtu.be/E75tKhtGOpw

May 09, 2017, 20:40

chemistry set
chemistry set
19 posts

Yeah, I'm in total agreement on all points... especially on a groop reunion if it could be done even half as well.

Re: 'Golden Hair', you make a fair point. However, I tend to view that track in two parts or mini movements: 1) a cover of the Syd Barrett piece which lasts about 1:30, and 2) the rest, which seems to be original to Slowdive as far as I can tell. Then that second half melts right into 'Shine', which has the same melody/progression. It's really that second part that for me is one of most sublime pieces of music that I've ever heard, and the juxtaposition with the Barrett tune takes it to another level. On top of that, I'm not a Syd Barrett fan so don't think very much of the original. And the fact that the lyrics are pulled from a James Joyce poem makes it that much more intriguing.

If you haven't seen them live since their reunion, then check out the live performance of 'Golden Hair' from the 2014 Pitchfork Festival on youtube. It's a much extended variation, which fortunately they played as well when I saw them last year. Totally amazing.

Re: chemistry set: no, I'm not familiar with that band. I will have to check them out. To be honest the story behind this handle is rather obtuse, long, and a bit dumb.

May 09, 2017, 23:31

Left-Boob-Oscillator
Left-Boob-Oscillator
17 posts

In my opinion Pygmalion is their best, but I might check this out.

May 10, 2017, 18:43

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
343 posts

nice. i was one of those who secretly yelled 'slowdive' in my head when i saw mojave 3 lives.

the few samples i found on youtube are quite nice. i wish they tour in my area soon.

May 17, 2017, 11:06

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index