Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Worst Band Ever?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Worst Band Ever?

There are many awful bands, many who go without saying because they are just nauseating packaged pop music for kids.

As far as bands that anybody who was an adult actually likes/d go, I would think Reef were particularly despicable. I can't stand The Eagles.

Solo artists may be easier. Billy Joel is hideous. Phil Collins is horrendous. Elton John is nauseating.

Googling best bands of all time, I loathe: Green Day, ACDC, Coldplay, Def Leppard, Van Halen.

Jun 11, 2017, 12:59

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

hito wrote:
I loathe: Green Day, ACDC, Coldplay, Def Leppard, Van Halen.

AC/DC, really? I thought they were one of those few untouchable bands who enjoy a kind of universal appeal. I love 'em. The others on your list are truly grim though. Hundreds more I could add, but not much point really...like shooting fish in a barrel!

Jun 11, 2017, 16:46

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

A real Angus Young quote from 2000: "I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

Jun 11, 2017, 18:54

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1223 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
hito wrote:
I loathe: Green Day, ACDC, Coldplay, Def Leppard, Van Halen.

AC/DC, really? I thought they were one of those few untouchable bands who enjoy a kind of universal appeal. I love 'em. The others on your list are truly grim though. Hundreds more I could add, but not much point really...like shooting fish in a barrel!

I have a special place in my heart for AC/DC. When I was in the first grade, my best friend had a cassette tape of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, and we'd listen to Big Balls over & over & over, giggling out little butts off. They're still good uncomplicated fun to my ears.

Jun 11, 2017, 19:10

hito
hito
1745 posts

In answer to all of the ACDC remarks, I was focusing on the Brian Johnson era. I have horrific memories of absorbing that idiotic screech.

I can see some humour in the Bon Scott era. Still, I would never put it on.

I guess the problem of a worst band may come back to the fact that some bands have good periods and then end up loathsome. For example, early heart is neither here nor there for me but their 80s output is an abomination that could rocket them to the bottom of the barrel.

Jun 12, 2017, 13:21

hito
hito
1745 posts

wracket wrote:
A real Angus Young quote from 2000: "I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

Ha ha

Jun 12, 2017, 13:25

matthew6
matthew6
1897 posts

Red Hot Chili Peppers.... Aerosmith.....

Jun 12, 2017, 13:44

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Solo artists may be easier. Billy Joel is hideous. Phil Collins is horrendous. Elton John is nauseating.

Could you please elaborate on your hatred of these artists? I feel the same, but suspect your explanation would be far more interesting than mine.

Jun 12, 2017, 15:10

matthew6
matthew6
1897 posts

meanchico wrote:

I have a soft spot for Elton Johns early 70's hits.

Phil Collins represents the worst of the 80s pop.

Jun 12, 2017, 15:25

hito
hito
1745 posts

meanchico wrote:

Could you please elaborate on your hatred of these artists? I feel the same, but suspect your explanation would be far more interesting than mine.

I think there is something of the hypocrite in all of them. Rich people singing about the dreams of ordinary men.
Phil Collins another day in paradise has to be juxtaposed against his decision to live somewhere he wouldn't have to pay tax after making millions of dollars boiling potatoes and passing it off as talent. He basically ruined my teenage life with his tedious take on popular music. The ubiquity of his singles tortured me in an era where broadcast TV and radio dominated musical distribution.
For Joel, Piano man is coupled with a mixture of contempt and self aggrandisement. He basically labels the barflies failures who will be there for life whilst he is apparently asked what he is doing there because he is so talented. His cocaine sunglasses, doowop dogshit and uptown girls simply ice his supercilious cake.
For John, it may be that he is simply boring. When I first encountered him, he was singing songs like Little Jeannie and Blue Eyes. They were such mindless mush that it was hard to reconcile with progressive music of the era. I don't know if he's a hypocrite but he is a bloated rich corpse wafting out his banal take on life. If he was any more MOR, he'd be a broken white line.

Jun 12, 2017, 15:31

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index