Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia Sadier & Batsch, live in London
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

peturv
183 posts

Laetitia Sadier & Batsch, live in London

hey, anyone in London, this is happening tomorrow (Saturday July 15th) in case you didn't know about it

just heard about this yesterday myself and I'll try to make it!!!

---
Laetitia Sadier and Batsch perform live in the gallery.

The former Stereolab singer and the Coventry–based quartet will stage a ‘live audio exhibition’ entitled Diggers.

This one-off performance includes brand new material written over a period of intensive collaboration in-residence at art gallery Studio Voltaire. Placing emphasis on the necessity of live encounter, the final performance will purposely not be recorded, and must be experienced in person.

---

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/live-performance-laetitia-sadier-batsch-tickets-35002704030?aff=es2

Jul 14, 2017, 12:31

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
683 posts

Re: Laetitia Sadier & Batsch, live in London

Ticket. Bought.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jul 14, 2017, 13:55

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Laetitia has made a mix for Rough Trade/Souncloud which ties in with the residency at Studio Voltaire:
https://soundcloud.com/rough_trade/laetitia-sadier-mix

based around the chakras, I'm listening as I type - entertaining so far.

I don't think I'll make it to the gig, unless I can un-commit myself from one or two commitments (I think I'll be in Dungeness, which I'm curious to see).

Jul 14, 2017, 14:18

jeff w
jeff w
683 posts

Some photos. More later…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27571876@N04/albums/72157683104044952

Jul 16, 2017, 14:42

jeff w
jeff w
683 posts

So, this happened, as the photos testify.

More about the project, from the press blurb:

"In the summer of 2017, Studio Voltaire will host French artist, performer and musician, Lætitia Sadier, for the gallery’s first music residency. Sadier and her latest collaborators, Batsch, will embark upon an exploration into the effects of sound on the body, in what she calls ‘an exercise in reconnection’.

Together, they will undertake a period of intensive collaboration on-site at Studio Voltaire, deconstructing usual approaches to music composition and performance. The project aims to directly access core emotion through sound. In Sadier’s own words, ‘Intellect is overrated. The real intellect is in feeling. The problem is we are being removed from our bodies and nature. There is an innate intelligence in our bodies, from which we are being castrated.’

Incorporating meditative techniques such as the use of binaural beats, and paying homage to eastern philosophies, the group will translate different facets of human emotion through the music they compose. The gallery, a former chapel, will become a ‘sanctuary of resonance’. External influences will be left at the door, in order to maximise the spectator’s vulnerability to the vibrations inside. As Sadier comments, ‘resonance is the key. The result of this project will be how we interpret this resonance through our pop sensibilities’."

The performance lasted about an hour, with the audience sitting or standing around the band in the gallery space.

I'd describe the music as elemental, nudging into exotica near the end. You could tell the compositions had developed organically from improvisation, although it was mostly tonal and played safe musically. As the blurb says, this was about connecting with the emotions of the audience. About half way through L got everyone to sing and repeat a random pitch and then gradually find harmony by ceding to another person's note. L mostly played keyboards but also a bit of percussion, and there were occasional vocals but only one or two compositions had lyrics.

At the end of "Diggers", the band loosened up by way of an encore with a funky cover version of "You Can't Hide (Your Love From me)" by David Joseph and a quite different set of emotions were released.

Jul 17, 2017, 18:26

peturv
183 posts

thanks for the photos!

I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it, and when I finally was going to buy my ticket it was sold out! so I missed it :(

Jul 18, 2017, 11:44

jeff w
jeff w
683 posts

There was a massive guest list. I do wonder how many tickets were actually available for purchase.

Jul 18, 2017, 14:15