Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Overated: Soundust?
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

postminimal
postminimal
282 posts

Overated: Soundust?

It seems there are some on here that feel this is the groups magnum opus. I think the first half of the album is excellent and very promising, but the second half is inconsistent and falls a bit flat. A good album, but not there best. I think Margarine is better actually.

Emperor, Dots, and Cobra are much better albums in my view.

Any thoughts?

Jul 20, 2017, 20:37

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

motoroller
79 posts

Re: Overated: Soundust?

Could not disagree more. Their most impressive output, IMHO. How you characterize SD (strong first half, faltering second) is how I hear ME, now that I think about it.

Jul 20, 2017, 20:42

matthew6
matthew6
1901 posts

It has a strong ethereal quality which combined with very strong songwriting and arrangements makes for sonic magic.

Really it is under rated as very few (any?) contemporary bands can reach the heights of Sound Dust.

Jul 20, 2017, 22:34

peturv
185 posts

postminimal wrote:
It seems there are some on here that feel this is the groups magnum opus. I think the first half of the album is excellent and very promising, but the second half is inconsistent and falls a bit flat. A good album, but not there best. I think Margarine is better actually.

Emperor, Dots, and Cobra are much better albums in my view.

Any thoughts?

absolutely disagree. after listening to it regularly for the past 16 (!) years, it feels the most consistently great album by the groop. dots and maq come close, but cobra is a bit unfocused (it's great, but it's hard for me to distinguish between the tracks).

margarine was a huge disappointment at the time and is one of their few albums (along with not music) that I've never gotten really into at one point or another

Jul 21, 2017, 00:15

peturv
185 posts

also the vinyl mix of the album is absolutely gorgeous - extended mixes and small details here and there that are nowhere on the cd/digital - everytime I put it on, I fall in love with the album all over again

Jul 21, 2017, 00:16

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Nah, it's perfection from start to finish. My only problem with it is that I tend to listen to it too much.

I actually think the 2nd half of Margerine Eclipse is choppy and confusing.

Jul 21, 2017, 00:41

chemistry set
chemistry set
17 posts

Probably stating the obvious here, but my take on it is that much of the collective assessment of SD is colored by the fact it was Mary's last album. As such it makes a nice book-end to Stereolab's high period regardless of whether you mark the beginning of that high period as '93, '94, '96, or sometime else. Personally, I like SD a lot and precious little that came afterward. I suspect there are many others like me in this respect, and this also reinforces the notion that SD is the end of a magnificent era.

Still, I wouldn't describe SD as their magnum opus. For me, that will always be ETK, and despite being less adventurous, complex, dense, and perhaps less brainy albums, I prefer TRNBWA and MAQ to SD.

Jul 21, 2017, 01:09

greencrayon
greencrayon
21 posts

Both SD and ME are tied as my most favorite albums. Haha

But to each their own. :)

Jul 21, 2017, 07:34

vista7@hotmail.com
338 posts

My opinion changed over time. When it first came out I wasn't too enthralled with it other than "Captain Easy Chord." This album really grew on my the more I listened to it and I thought the Sound - Dust tour was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. As the years have gone on I don't think this album has held up as well as Chemical Chords. I mentioned in another post I consider Chemical Chords really high because of the great studio work, different sound in their songwriting, and just like it overall. It's hard for me to rate their albums.

Jul 22, 2017, 01:21