Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Dots & Loops Revisited
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

Dots & Loops Revisited

Nice review of the album on its 20-year anniversary...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/stereolab-dots-and-loops/

Jul 23, 2017, 15:39

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Re: Dots & Loops Revisited

That is nice

Jul 25, 2017, 13:49

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Surprising

Most contemporary music criticism consists of a few paragraphs of cliched, vapid, half baked shit ..... the print version of the latest JJ Abrams flick

someone actually put some effort into this

Jul 26, 2017, 01:34

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

matthew6 wrote:
Surprising

Most contemporary music criticism consists of a few paragraphs of cliched, vapid, half baked shit ..... the print version of the latest JJ Abrams flick

Whilst it's great to see a high score and extesive feature on the groop, I find the writer's style pretty annoying to be honest. Very Simon Reynolds wannabe (he even mentioned the guy a couple of times, FFS!). I get a kind of pseudo, smug, know-it-all vibe from his words. Presenting his assumptions as fact, with the rest cribbed from Wikipedia. Haha! Or maybe I'm just bitter because I don't get paid to write about music! :-P

Jul 26, 2017, 05:43

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

matthew6 wrote:
Surprising

This.

Count me as one of them blokes swearing by Transient, Mars and Emperor, but I thought it was a fascinating review. It was also a great reminder what a wonderful song "The Argument" by TSaC is. If anything was smug, it was all them early Pitchfork reviews for the Groop. He may be too "intellectual" for some readers, but I think this wipes the floor with the original D&L review some 15-20 years ago.

Jul 27, 2017, 13:16

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Just can't believe D&L is 20 years old. Wow. I remember listening to Miss Modular for the very first time when it was included on the CMJ magazine CD sampler in their October 1997 issue. I knew after just the first few seconds that it would be my new favorite song, and it is still a contender for that title all these years later.
Magazines? CD's? Better go take a nap, Grandpa.

Jul 27, 2017, 23:54

hitek
hitek
39 posts

i was into dots when i knew my ex, whom i don't know if she's dead. very colourful. i wish every day was a as chirpy, it is.. except when i'm tired. i might go listen to flower called nowhere now! but i feel i'm listening to a lot of 80s stuff now, 90's i a bit so so.. compared to vivid 80. sorry being a bit boring. where is slushy, i know she's on fb. she a pretty girl. i feel i miss my ex, sure she's alive and well, idk. now flower called nowhere, prolly lost my literal virginity to that beat. hope not too winter. if you see what i mean, it was in summer..its a beat1!!

Jul 30, 2017, 22:34

postminimal
postminimal
283 posts

Excellent article: thanks for sharing!

Aug 17, 2017, 22:06

peturv
187 posts

Dots & Loops 20 today!

well apparently the album came out 20 years today

a nice little thing on Stereogum to mark the anniversary

https://www.stereogum.com/1963863/dots-and-loops-turns-20/franchises/the-anniversary/

it was the first lab album I bought (a few months after the releaase), so this is making me feel really old

Sep 22, 2017, 21:08

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Re: Dots & Loops 20 today!

peturv wrote:
well apparently the album came out 20 years today

Happy birthday D&L!

I remember clear as day purchasing my copy from the local "Our Price" store on the week of release. It was on the same day I was going to see the groop for the first time, and so I rushed home excited to hear it. Such was my concentration on the tremendous music coming forth from the speakers that I forgot to keep an eye on the kitchen, and burnt me fish fingers!

What an album, what a show! Seems like a lifetime ago now.

Vive la groop!

Sep 23, 2017, 09:11

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index