Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Yo La Tengo
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

postminimal
postminimal
281 posts

Yo La Tengo

...so how do we feel about this group? I have been getting into them the past year or so.

I have 'I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One', 'Painful' and 'And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out'.

Aug 08, 2017, 17:34

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

peturv
180 posts

Re: Yo La Tengo

they are great!

became a fan around the time I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One came out 20 years ago, and it's been my favourite album since then. it was also around the same time that I got into Stereolab and these are the two groups from my teen years that I still listen a lot to

most of their albums are great, so you have enough to explore - my second fav of theirs is the one everyone seems to dislike - Summer Sun - but it has this great relaxed atmosphere that I really enjoy

Aug 08, 2017, 17:54

postminimal
postminimal
281 posts

Yes, I have been checking out Summer Sun online: seems pretty cool as well.

Aug 08, 2017, 20:19

vivakomeda
744 posts

The ones you mentioned are really good.

They're tough to keep up with. Over the years it feels like they've put out 100 LPs.

Aug 09, 2017, 04:12

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

consider how many they have produced i would say that they are almost quantity over quality. some of them are decent but the % is low.

Aug 12, 2017, 03:53

mikka000
1083 posts

Agreed, lost interest after 'I Can Hear the Heart...'. They became hit and miss after that, IMO.

Aug 12, 2017, 09:06

peturv
180 posts

flatironsteak wrote:
consider how many they have produced i would say that they are almost quantity over quality. some of them are decent but the % is low.

don't really agree with that. they release a new album every 3-4 years, but of course over a few decades this means quite a few albums and I think most of them are great (alright - the last one, the covers album, was rather weak). there are also a few complications/soundtrack albums that are only for die-hard fans, but once you ignore those (apart from the excellent Sounds of the Sounds of Science), their output is pretty solid.

Aug 12, 2017, 16:00

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

postminimal wrote:
...so how do we feel about this group? I have been getting into them the past year or so.

I have 'I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One', 'Painful' and 'And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out'.

Those are probably their best, though 'Electr-O-Pura' and 'Summer Sun' are very nearly as good. 'Fade' is by far my favorite of their later albums.

Aug 12, 2017, 19:56

vivakomeda
744 posts

I think "And then Nothing"... may be their best.

Summer Sun was nice too.

Aug 12, 2017, 21:08

vista7@hotmail.com
337 posts

The are indi-rock stalwarts and part of the Hoboken scene that was big in the 80's. I really liked Painful and I can hear the heart beating as one. Personally I just got a bit bored with their sound after I discovered Stereoloab, Tortoise, and Sea and Cake. They have a vast catalog though. This link is a pretty good synopsis of their discography -

http://www.stereogum.com/1169501/yo-la-tengo-albums-from-worst-to-best/franchises/counting-down/attachment/icanhear/

Aug 15, 2017, 03:23

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index