Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Laetitia - Baker's Dozen
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jeff w
jeff w
684 posts

Laetitia - Baker's Dozen

Another one of those 'my favourite albums' pieces, for The Quietus this time:

http://thequietus.com/articles/22992-laetitia-sadier-interview-stereolab-favourite-albums?page=1

A lot of these are familiar picks from her previous interviews.

(warning: requires 13 annoying click-throughs in order to read the whole thing)

Aug 09, 2017, 20:53

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

peturv
183 posts

Re: Laetitia - Baker's Dozen

excellent! I love these lists - I usually discover something that I've never heard of before

looking forward to read through them all and listen

yeah it's kinda annoying to click through these things, but I guess they need the traffic to sell ads so they can bring us these things - so who am I to complain

Aug 09, 2017, 21:43

peturv
183 posts

really surprised to see The Smiths there! and she even admits that she doesn't own the album and doesn't really like the band.

also, hoping that Beck collaboration will happen

quite glad that all (except one) of the albums that I didn't know are on spotify, so it will be easy to listen

most looking forward to listen to the Ex-Futur Album:

"My personal connection to this record is that people kept saying oh, it sounds like Stereolab, except they did it ten years before we did! They're sort of our parents, and that's really amazing to me. "

Aug 09, 2017, 22:01

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

On Juana Molina;s "Halo" she says,
"I discovered this album quite recently"
which is strange because it was only released 3 months ago.

Aug 10, 2017, 04:33

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Beck collaboration could be dynamite if it ever happened. I'm such a huge fan of the work he did with Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Kind of flippant (but honest) comment about the Smiths. I mean Louder Than Bombs?!? I can def understand dismissing most of his solo work, though there are great moments sprinkled here and there.

I checked out Ex-Futur on my bus ride this morning. Its like a slightly more sophisticated X-Ray Pop type of sound. Pretty sure most people who enjoy Laetitia/Sterolab would enjoy it. I love the colorful album cover.

Aug 10, 2017, 15:14

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

I'm still a Smiths fan (beyond the first album) and even find Morrissey solo has some fine songs regardless of her opinions.

Aug 10, 2017, 16:47

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

It's pretty good! Nothing ground-breaking as far as her sound goes, but it's HER sound. My appreciation for Juana increased dramatically after seeing her live a couple years ago. She's really entertaining and magnetic.

Aug 10, 2017, 17:29

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

No love for even Meat Is Murder?!! Well I Wonder is their best song, IMBO.

Aug 10, 2017, 18:38

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

meanchico wrote:

I checked out Ex-Futur on my bus ride this morning. Its like a slightly more sophisticated X-Ray Pop type of sound. Pretty sure most people who enjoy Laetitia/Sterolab would enjoy it. I love the colorful album cover.

This is off this:

And this is Laetitia (with the wonderful Ed Dowie) doing a version of it live:

I like the original, but find it maybe a tad too poppy. I prefer the Laetitia version - especially as I appear in the video (very briefly - over on the left of the audience at about 55 seconds).

Aug 12, 2017, 13:21