Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson

I liked the preview tracks. "Another Weekend" has something of a Neil Young feel in the slow parts, no?

Speaking of which (kind of), I was filled with a mixture of excitement/trepidation when I saw he's remade "I Wanna Be Young". I actually just downloaded the leak 5 minutes ago, and jumped straight to that song. I needn't have worried, it somehow stays faithful to the vibe of the original, but with upgraded production....didn't think that was possible? Somewhat relieved, as the original version is one of my all time faves from Ariel :D

Gosh, the track with Dam Funk sounds ace. Excited to have a proper listen through the whole thing!

Aug 29, 2017, 21:41

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

Re: Ariel Pink - Dedicated to Bobby Jameson

I am so excited to hear this. I was hooked from the first time I hear Round & Round. He just seems to get more interesting and weird with each album.

Anyone seen him live before?

Aug 29, 2017, 21:56

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Saw him in 2009. He was brilliant.

Aug 31, 2017, 23:23

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

Listened to the album a few times now, I like it a lot! Anyone who enjoyed the last few albums won't be disappointed. My initial impressions, track by track:

01 Time to Meet Your God 9/10
Great opener. The "Allahu Akbar" part made me snicker (at least I think that's what he says?). The scratchy backwards sound in the instrumental break is a little annoying though, bit too loud.

02 Feels Like Heaven 8/10
Super nice 80s sound. His faux English accent on certain words is always endearing. Cheesy sounding lyrics, but winning tune!

03 Death Patrol 8/10
A funny one. I definitely hear a bit of the Bee Gees in there somewhere. The scratchy violin sound halfway through, which is suddenly replaced by Stayin' Alive style string flourishes is a hilarious touch. Great chorus (musically speaking, not sure about the lyrics).

04 Santa’s in the Closet 6/10
Comedy song like "Black Ballerina", quite funny first couple of times but likely won't stand up to repeated listening so well.

05 Dedicated to Bobby Jameson 10/10
The title track is great, and contains possibly his most blatant Zappa reference so far(?) The vocal hook in the pre chorus part reminds me very much of "Mom & Dad" from We're only in it for the Money. The instrumental section is somewhat reminiscent of the Doors?

06 Time to Live 10/10
I love this. Starts out pretty heavy (even metallic) then when the vocals come is it's like the melody from "Video Killed the Radio Star", heheh. Something else sounds familiar in there too, can't quite put my finger on it. Cool song and reminds me of "Not Enough Violence" from the last album.

07 Another Weekend 9/10
This is pretty lush. I like the lyrics. The slow parts are very Neil Young inspired.

08 I Wanna Be Young 10/10
Very faithful remake of one of my favorites from his older "lowfi" albums. Good job!

09 Bubblegum Dreams 8/10
This is a super cheesy psychedelic number. The production is on point, dig it!

10 Dreamdate Narcissist 7/10
Another psychedelic tribute which reminds me a lot of bands like the Seeds. The sound is really great but the tune and lyrics are a bit throwaway.

11 Kitchen Witch 10/10
Could be the best track on the album, love the dreamy 80s vibe. This is the kind of stuff I like most from APHG.

12 Do Yourself a Favor 6/10
I don't have a strong opinion on this song, seems like filler but I quite like the coda section with the whistling.

13 Acting [ft. Dam-Funk] 9/10
I love Dam Funk, so I was always gonna like this. It's great! Although the silly "we're gonna party till the break of dawn" parts almost ruin it, the tune is great great enough that I can forgive.

Sep 08, 2017, 09:03

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

I saw APHG in a tiny venue in 2010 (same place I saw Laetitia do a solo show once, it's super intimate and only holds about 100 people), just a couple days after "Before Today" came out. It was a great gig! Both him and the band were really tight. I can't remember much detail, as I was pretty gone. But Fright Night, L'estat (Acc. To The Widow's Maid) and Little Wig were definitely all amazing :P

This one scratchy video of the occasion exists on youtube:

Sadly I didn't get to see them since, as I'm living in a place where no good bands pass through.

Sep 08, 2017, 09:20