Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Is It Likely To Ever Happen?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Is It Likely To Ever Happen?

In all honesty what do folk on the forum really think about the possibility of Stereolab ever being a band again?

I do like the COAM albums, I like them a lot actually!

As for Laetitia's solo efforts, I'm quite bored by them to be honest, I just don't like her solo stuff that much.

Maybe just Tim, Laetitia, Andy Ramsay and some input from Mr. O'Hagen would be enough to have that Lab sound again!

Any thoughts?

Sep 03, 2017, 18:20

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

greencrayon
greencrayon
21 posts

Re: Is It Likely To Ever Happen?

I have mixed feelings about them ever regrouping. They were really at their prime when Sadier and Gane were in a relationship. While their post relationship/Mary work is still good, they didn't have masterpieces like Cybele's Reverie.

If they were to come back though it'd be the best thing ever. But they really need a new female vocalist if they do in my opinion. Mary is irreplaceable, yes, but their songs sound so subdued with just Laetitia singing.

Sep 03, 2017, 18:53

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Yeah, you're right! It couldn't be the same without Mary's voice.

Their almost faultless phase for me is 1994 - 2001.

Whether or not they ever get back together they've certainly left a mark on the music world that will last, I think in the future they will be far more recognised for their innovation than they currently are.

Sep 03, 2017, 19:16

Left-Boob-Oscillator
Left-Boob-Oscillator
17 posts

My impression of Laetitia is that she doesn't enjoy talking about Stereolab and prefers being solo. She has said in interviews that if Tim wrote some songs for her she would write the lyrics and sing them. But she shows all signs of having moved on. Mary's death, the death of her sister, and the death of Trish Keenan were all hard for her.

Sep 04, 2017, 00:23

matthew6
matthew6
1905 posts

I feel the Stereolab discography is as complete as can be.

I wont complain if they make another album - I'd be thrilled actually.

But it's hardly tragic that a band that produced something like 18 albums worth of material stops making new music.

Sep 04, 2017, 14:43

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Good point!

Sep 04, 2017, 15:14

peturv
187 posts

I think it's unlikely and I'm sure new material would be disappointing, but I would be very happy if it would happen (especially if a tour would follow)

Sep 04, 2017, 18:25

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

Left-Boob-Oscillator wrote:
My impression of Laetitia is that she doesn't enjoy talking about Stereolab and prefers being solo. She has said in interviews that if Tim wrote some songs for her she would write the lyrics and sing them. But she shows all signs of having moved on. Mary's death, the death of her sister, and the death of Trish Keenan were all hard for her.

Not sure the last sentence is relevant to the issue but the rest is spot on. I don't think L enjoyed the last few years of Stereolab before the hiatus, having to fit words to music she had no input to.

I'd quite like to see the boot on the other foot actually, L giving Tim some song demos and him crafting Stereolab cuts from them. But I know it won't happen. Strongly doubt any reunion will.

And I'm completely unbothered by that. Personally, I'm very happy with what both Laetitia and Tim are doing now.

Sep 04, 2017, 21:01

matthew6
matthew6
1905 posts

It is a very good song though.

Maybe the song title itself was/is a message :)

Sep 04, 2017, 23:55

greencrayon
greencrayon
21 posts

I'm still waiting on them to remaster their vinyl copies. Other wise I might just get their records used or go for their CDs.

Sep 05, 2017, 19:12

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index