Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Is It Likely To Ever Happen?
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Re: Is It Likely To Ever Happen?

I'd like to see all the studio albums from - Peng to Chemical Chords - remastered in 2CD gatefold LP style sleeve sets, the extra CD could contain the EP's and singles from the time of release and maybe some rare stuff too, and all should include a nice 28 page booklet with photos and the chronological history of the Groop, stickers, posters and badges could also be included.

It could be done really nicely, I would certainly buy each album again in that format!

They'd be a lovely physical testament to the Groop before CDs become obsolete forever

Sep 05, 2017, 20:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

lereostab wrote:

28 page booklet

I'm loving this level of detail here, btw :)

Sep 05, 2017, 22:45

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

It's funny because I put 24 pages at first and then thought about it and wanted more, it almost became 32 but I settled on 28 pages which is enough for an essay, lyrics and a fair few photos too!

It would be nice to see though wouldn't it? The whole studio back catalogue given the treatment it deserves!

Sep 05, 2017, 23:32

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

Would die for that.

Sep 06, 2017, 08:46

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

I was so completely thrilled when I became aware of a second track from a Charles Long exhibit BUA. New Stereolab even if old completely made my day.

Sep 06, 2017, 08:55

peturv
183 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
I was so completely thrilled when I became aware of a second track from a Charles Long exhibit BUA. New Stereolab even if old completely made my day.

yeah, that was a treat. hope we get to hear a full quality version (not mp3) some day. not sure if there are many unreleased songs like that, as I assume that most their outtakes ended up on tour singles and EPs - but who knows ... there might be some songs, demos and snippets lying around Tim's studio - I guess we'll never know unless they ever get round to compile SO4 or do special editions of the albums with bonus tracks

Sep 06, 2017, 11:51

peturv
183 posts

lereostab wrote:

I'd like to see all the studio albums from - Peng to Chemical Chords - remastered in 2CD gatefold LP style sleeve sets, the extra CD could contain the EP's and singles from the time of release and maybe some rare stuff too, and all should include a nice 28 page booklet with photos and the chronological history of the Groop, stickers, posters and badges could also be included.

that would be nice, but I'm not sure if I would buy all the catalogue again for the third time (I first got the cd's when I got into them, then started buying the vinyls about 15 years ago) - and I don't even have a cd player anymore! perhaps I would buy a download if there were some unreleased gems included

lereostab wrote:

They'd be a lovely physical testament to the Groop before CDs become obsolete forever

then they have to act quick ... not sure if today's cd sales would justify the costs of producing this

Sep 06, 2017, 12:00

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

I would buy them again!

I think you're right though, it's not likely to happen to a band like Stereolab, they just weren't commercially successful enough for any record company to bother with now, there would be too much risk of making a loss on their initial investment.

Unless an independent label with a passion for original and innovative music was prepared to take a risk and go for it.
Perhaps limited editions of say 2000 for each album.

It's nice to imagine it happening anyway!

Sep 06, 2017, 17:30

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

I've always wanted a lush lyrics book with other things in it put out by the band and illustrated by House.

I also wanted a live album of best material put out by Tim meticulously done.

And a live DVD edited beautifully.

Sep 06, 2017, 18:01

peturv
183 posts

lereostab wrote:

Unless an independent label with a passion for original and innovative music was prepared to take a risk and go for it.

that could happen. Light in the Attic would be perfect as they put a lot of effort into creating high quality reissues of records with limited commercial potential.

Domino Records also put out reissues of indie classics now and then (YMG, Galaxy 500, Beat Happening, Go-Betweens, Buzzcocks) and I think their publishing wing has been working with the groop, CoAM and Laetitia for the last decade (I think one of Tim's old buddies from McCarthy works there). so it wouldn't be a stretch - and great for me as I can get Domino releases for free (my husband works for them)

Sep 06, 2017, 18:21

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index