Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
RIP Holger Czukay
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2778 posts

RIP Holger Czukay

Sep 06, 2017, 04:06

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Re: RIP Holger Czukay

Yes RIP indeed.

Cause of death unknown at present!

This is so strange! I hadn't listened to any Can for 4 or 5 years until earlier this week when I suddenly got right into them again, I've been listening to them every day this week.

Then Holger dies!

Need to get 1974 and onward albums as I'm only really familiar with Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days, all of which are amazing!

Sep 06, 2017, 05:13

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1218 posts

Some of his 80s material:

Sep 06, 2017, 07:42

peturv
179 posts

lereostab wrote:

Need to get 1974 and onward albums as I'm only really familiar with Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days, all of which are amazing!

These are a great start, but they've done some other good ones.
I would check out Soundtracks (1970), which has my favourite Can song "Mother Sky" (amazing motorik drums on that one).
Many of the later ones are hit and miss, but there are often a song or two that are worth getting them. Soon over Babaluma (1974) and Flow Motion (1976) are pretty good and I've always liked Saw Delight (1977) - mostly for "Animal Waves".

Sep 06, 2017, 13:58

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

peturv wrote:
lereostab wrote:

These are a great start, but they've done some other good ones.
I would check out Soundtracks (1970), which has my favourite Can song "Mother Sky" (amazing motorik drums on that one).
Many of the later ones are hit and miss, but there are often a song or two that are worth getting them. Soon over Babaluma (1974) and Flow Motion (1976) are pretty good and I've always liked Saw Delight (1977) - mostly for "Animal Waves".

I've just ordered 'Monster Movie' 'Soundtracks' 'Landed' and 'Flow Motion'.
I'm looking forward to checking them out.

Sep 06, 2017, 17:11

peturv
179 posts

lereostab wrote:

I've just ordered 'Monster Movie' 'Soundtracks' 'Landed' and 'Flow Motion'.
I'm looking forward to checking them out.

yeah Monster Movie is great, haven't listen to that in a long time, and Flow Motion has got some good tracks (Vernal Equinox is excellent, as far as I can remember)

Sep 06, 2017, 18:24

peturv
179 posts

peturv wrote:

Flow Motion has got some good tracks (Vernal Equinox is excellent, as far as I can remember)

I meant Landed (always get those mid-70s albums mixed up)

Sep 06, 2017, 18:24

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

I'll let you know how I get on with them!

Sep 06, 2017, 19:35

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

Check out the Peel Sessions compilation, there's one long track with Damo there, also a 1975 session which indicates how CAN changed during the Landed era, but also, two 1974 sessions which are completely instrumental and feature some of the most adventurous music the band ever performed, proving that it wasn't necessarily Damo Suzuki's leaving that caused CAN's glory years to end. It was the loss of that magical group feeling on the Landed album. Still, Flow Motion is a pretty good late period album.

Sep 07, 2017, 11:11

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

I was listening to it just last night on youtube, that 'Tony Wanna Go' track is excellent!

Sep 07, 2017, 15:27

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index