Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Miss you Mary - 15 years.
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5979 posts

Miss you Mary - 15 years.

It was 15 years ago today that we lost Mary. I can't believe it's been that long. Post a song you love that she was a part of. I'm partial to this one that she sings lead.

From her crisp clear voice, to the punchy rhythms, to the Philip Glass-like vibraphone (or whatever it's called), to the crescendo of strings at the end. I will always love it.

Dec 09, 2017, 19:52

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

peturv
207 posts

Re: Miss you Mary - 15 years.

cyberpainter wrote:
It was 15 years ago today that we lost Mary. I can't believe it's been that long. Post a song you love that she was a part of. I'm partial to this one that she sings lead.

From her crisp clear voice, to the punchy rhythms, to the Philip Glass-like vibraphone (or whatever it's called), to the crescendo of strings at the end. I will always love it.

miss her too.

who knows how the groop would have evolved if she would have been allowed to continue on this earth....

tried to find some songs to post, but it seems that every Stereolab song featuring Mary prominently that I thought of is blocked on Youtube in the UK (including cyberpainter's selection), so I chose one of her excellent contributions to Brokeback's records instead

Dec 10, 2017, 16:24

peturv
207 posts

here's another great brokeback track, with both mary and lŠtitia

Dec 10, 2017, 16:29

jeff w
jeff w
704 posts

Splitting the Atom Pts 1 & 2, uploaded by Simon Holliday who was also on the record

Dec 10, 2017, 16:53

ImaginaryFriend
1 posts

15 years later it is still very sad that Mary was lost so young.

I hope this will work and everyone will be able to view the video (my apologies if I get it wrong or the video is blocked).

Dec 12, 2017, 06:00

chemistry set
chemistry set
20 posts

This:

This whole record is great, but also this:

I was fortunate enough one night to see Stereolab in Fukuoka, Japan. Based on the size and saturation of the venue, I would guess there were maybe 800 people in the audience. About one third were non-Japanese.

Being from the US I am habituated to people who typically communicate and emote without much subtlety or nuance. Japanese culture is rife with both. It seemed to me that the non-Japanese in the crowd were very spirited (perhaps also fortified with spirits) and boisterous almost to the point of being outright obnoxious at times. Their energy, a bit reminiscent of a college frat party, seemed somewhat misplaced at a Stereolab show. On the other hand, maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

The groop, for their part, were churning through their repertoire with vigor. I can't find the set list online, but my impression years later is that they were leaning heavily on the staples which I ascribe to the fact that I don't think they'd toured in that part of Japan previously. The performance was very enjoyable.

In contrast, the Japanese part of the audience was very subdued and even evinced a bit of boredom. I had the impression that their applause was soft between songs, and they were definitely quieter than the non-Japanese despite their superiority in numbers. They seemed befuddled those few times that Laetitia and Mary spoke to the crowd, which was of course in English.

All of this gave the show a very weird vibe.

However, after the encore, Mary said "arigato" at which point the Japanese in the crowd positively erupted. Finally completely lit, their sense of enjoyment and appreciation was fully palpable.

Anyway, the reason this narrative, with its trite cultural observations, sort of cemented in my head and I'm writing about it now is that as the show took place in March 2002, this would be that last time I saw Mary as part of the groop. For me, Stereolab without Mary never even approached Stereolab with Mary.

Dec 12, 2017, 16:21

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5979 posts

What an interesting description!

Dec 12, 2017, 18:28

postminimal
postminimal
285 posts

Love that tune!

Dec 12, 2017, 22:22

matthew6
matthew6
1925 posts

The 'happy happy happy' part of Double Rocker is the most delightful thing I've ever heard. Playfully transcendent

Dec 13, 2017, 23:32

greencrayon
27 posts

via GIPHY

I made a gif of Mary (which is actually from a fan video of Laissez-Faire)

Dec 16, 2017, 08:54