Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
5 Movies You Were Supposed To Like But Hated
48 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Re: 5 Movies You Were Supposed To Like But Hated

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
DevastatorJr. wrote:
I really don't see anything to like in Titanic. It's such a huge cliche ridden snore fest. I don't think DiCaprio or Winslet were even mildly believable. I didn't even think the sinking part was that interesting. The Posiden Adventure is a much more interesting sea wreck film and Far And Away is a more fun period romance.

Willy Wonka...well, I think if you didn't see it as a kid, you won't have the same feeling about it. As a kid, it was sort of creepy and scary but also profound to an 8 year old, so yeah, I still love it.

Willy Wonka--

I did see it as a kid and the Oompa Loompas bothered me. They still bother me.

Only once I grew up, I started seeing other reasons why I hated it...

The family is poor. Yet, rather than emphasize the meaning of life, or the bond of love, and that money isn't everything, the movie shows how the poverty-ridden child is indoctrinated by industrialization and capitalism, and how candy and money save his life. Willy represents "the system" or "the man." He punishes the poor children because of their natural impulses, thereby brainwashing them into obedience to capitalist society. The Oompa Loompas are the police force.

Titanic--just loved watching the ship sink on the big screen.

Ahh, I think you're sort of misreading Willy Wonka. On the one hand, yes, Charlie and his grandfather are starstruck like everyone else by the chance to strike it rich, but it's exactly Charlie's sense of honesty that let's him outlast the other spoiled rich kids, and ultimately win in the end.

I don't think Wonka represents "the man", that's Slugworth, Willy is more the free spirit, the artist or entrepaneur made good. Doesn't he say something like he used to be poor just like Charlie? And it was the power of his dreams that brought him so far. Sure, it's a fairy tale, a Marxist version would have Charlie organizing a mass Ooompa-Loompa strike, but there's something to be said for honesty, which is Charlie's chief virtue.

Also, there are tons of little lessons in that movie, like not being greedy or watching too much tv or being a spoiled brat.

And also, for a kids movie, it's just so darned freaky.

Apr 17, 2009, 20:14

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: