Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Uncomprehensible Lyrics
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

marquismarc
7 posts

Re: Uncomprehensible Lyrics

Hi all, this is what they lyrics sound like to me, plus a song interpretation:

Narco Martenot

When we all let seize no savior;
When it's on the brink of collapse
With a deficit and so harsh; (so rash?)
When there's official and unofficial pretending
to fight a war against the dirty money that it thrives on;

(Tu pleures qu'un audit(?)
Coute beaucoup de vie(s).)

Narco Dollar, Narco Dollar,
The world is thirsty for fresh money.
Narco Dollar is a big supplier
To the greedy machinery.
The world is thirsty for your money.
Narco Dollar is a gold supplier
To the greedy machinery.

Thoughts :
I admit I don't know much about communism, but I heard Laetitia was a communist (the party had more popularity in France a few years ago), and this sounds like a real gem of communist viewpoint. As with much of the Mars Audiac Quintet era, and even the whole Stereolab catalog, Laetitia's lyrics are overt challenges to think creatively and critically in the political context. Here it seems to be a wake-up call to think about our addiction to both money and corrupt government.

The song tile : (Martenot is another 'lab title motif: another fabulous-looking vintage space-age electronic instrument like farfisa, harmonium, revox, jenny ondioline, moog, et al.) Martenot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondes_Martenot What is left is as theme is "Narco", informant in a drug bust.
The song seems to condemn governmental profiteering in the war on drugs, with an effort to conceal this fact: "there's official pretending to fight a war against the dirty money it thrives on". Govts who ban drugs, say they are fighting to remove them from our culture but hypocritically allow the drug trade since they thrive on it financially. I guess this profit is the "narco dollar", and they officials can't give it up because it fuels the greedy machinery.

Additionally, "narco dollar" is an extreme-left's insult to the inhuman "greedy machinery" capitalism and the mere existence of money in our society. Money has become narcotic (and not narc/informant) to the proletariat, who are collectively "thirsty for fresh money."
FYI the music of “Narco Martenot”, as many of the pounding-plodding songs in the Stereolab catalog, is a direct musical borrowing from the late 70’s band Suicide. “Tempter,” is an analog organ version of the love-tune on Suicide’s seminal self-titled album, “Cheree”.)

Oct 13, 2009, 21:14

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

marquismarc wrote:
Hi all, this is what they lyrics sound like to me, plus a song interpretation:

Narco Martenot

When we all let seize no savior;
When it's on the brink of collapse
With a deficit and so harsh; (so rash?)
When there's official and unofficial pretending
to fight a war against the dirty money that it thrives on;

(Tu pleures qu'un audit(?)
Coute beaucoup de vie(s).)

The world is thirsty for fresh money.
Narco Dollar is a big supplier
To the greedy machinery.
The world is thirsty for your money.
Narco Dollar is a gold supplier
To the greedy machinery.

Thoughts :
I admit I don't know much about communism, but I heard Laetitia was a communist (the party had more popularity in France a few years ago), and this sounds like a real gem of communist viewpoint. As with much of the Mars Audiac Quintet era, and even the whole Stereolab catalog, Laetitia's lyrics are overt challenges to think creatively and critically in the political context. Here it seems to be a wake-up call to think about our addiction to both money and corrupt government.

The song tile : (Martenot is another 'lab title motif: another fabulous-looking vintage space-age electronic instrument like farfisa, harmonium, revox, jenny ondioline, moog, et al.) Martenot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondes_Martenot What is left is as theme is "Narco", informant in a drug bust.
The song seems to condemn governmental profiteering in the war on drugs, with an effort to conceal this fact: "there's official pretending to fight a war against the dirty money it thrives on". Govts who ban drugs, say they are fighting to remove them from our culture but hypocritically allow the drug trade since they thrive on it financially. I guess this profit is the "narco dollar", and they officials can't give it up because it fuels the greedy machinery.

Additionally, "narco dollar" is an extreme-left's insult to the inhuman "greedy machinery" capitalism and the mere existence of money in our society. Money has become narcotic (and not narc/informant) to the proletariat, who are collectively "thirsty for fresh money."
FYI the music of “Narco Martenot”, as many of the pounding-plodding songs in the Stereolab catalog, is a direct musical borrowing from the late 70’s band Suicide. “Tempter,” is an analog organ version of the love-tune on Suicide’s seminal self-titled album, “Cheree”.)

wow, what a great interpretation. i think a blog is in order, my friend... get to it! chop chop!

Oct 13, 2009, 21:18

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

yeah, those are great lyrics. I'm feeling those, (gestures to the chest then God) PEACE!

Oct 14, 2009, 05:18

marquismarc
7 posts

Thanks much! One day perhaps, the thought has crossed my mind for years...

Feb 13, 2010, 15:28

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index